Whether your kids have seen the hit Jurassic Park movies or not- they all seem to know the premise! This jurassic world activities helps kids explore the way they got the code to recreate dinosaurs with a fun insects in amber excavation activity! This insect activity for kindergarten, preschool, pre-k, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and up is so much fun! I love slime activity ideas with a purpose. Use this in yoru upcoming insect or dinosaur theme!
Jurassic World Activities
Are your kids nuts about dinosaurs? Perhaps they have gotten the Jurassic Park bug – from the movies or Jurassic Park Camp Crustaceious cartoons on Netflix. Either way, this jurassic world activity is sure to delight kids of all ages! This amber excavation activity plays off the whoel premise of the dino movie franchise – how they got the DNA to recreate dinosaurs in our world today. This slime activities is also an insect activities for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students too!
Jurassic World Activity
All you need to try this fun insects in amber slime activit are a few simple materials you probably already have on hand:
- 1/2 cup clear glue
- 1/2 cup water to mix with glue
- 1/2 cup of warm water to mix with the Borax powder
- Borax powder 1/4 tsp Borax powder
- Red and yellow food coloring
- plastic ants, bugs, or insects
- bowls and palstic spoon or craft stick for mixing
- plastic dinosaurs to add to the fun!
Jurassic Park Activities
In a medium bowl mix 1/2 cup clear glue and 1/2 cup water. Add in red and yellow food coloring to make the shade of orange you like to represent the amber.
In a small bowl mix 1/2 cup of warm water with 1/4 teaspoon Borax powder – which you can find online or on the laundry aisle. Make sure you mix, crush and break apart any Borax chunks.
Now pour a small amount of the Borax solution into the glue mixture and mix with a plastic spoon or popsicle stick. Continue adding the borax mixture. The glue will start clumping.
Insect Activity for Kindergarten
Once the glue starts to hold onto the popsicle stick, you can pick it up and start working it with your hand until it forms slime.
Kindergarten Science Activity
Put an insect in a clear container and top with your Jurassic Park slime to burry it in amber.
You can dig through the amber slime to get to yoru bugs, let the slime ooze over a cup or your hands to get to the mosquito burried in amber, etc. This is an invitation for kids to play and act out what they’ve heard.
Let me be clear, I am not recommending the Jurrassic Park or Jurassic World movies to this age. That is a choice I leave to parents. But, my younger kids have thoroughly enjoyed Camp Crustaceous on Netflix which has sparked their curiosity about dinosaurs – and this playful activity!
Slime Activity for Kindergartners
If your kids are anything like mine, the littles wont really care the bases of the play activity – they just want to get in their with the slime and play with the insects. My big kids, will decide they want to play because they like the story line connection. Either way, my kids are happily playing with one another and having fun!
Insect Activities for Preschoolers
Add in some prehistoric leaves, plants, and of course dinosaurs to round out this fun dinosaur activity! This Jurassic World activity is perfect for a dinosaur activity based on the movies or show! Kids of all ages will love this amber excavation activities!
If you are looking for other fun, free dinosaur printables to make learning fun with a dinosaur theme you will love these resources:
- Dinosaur Fossils Activity – creating a mold
- Cute Hand Dinosaur Craft for Toddlers
- Dinosaur Unit 2nd Grade
- Dinosaur Science Preschool
- Dinosaur Kindergarten STEM Activities
- D is for Dinosaur
- Fossil Dinosaur Activity
- Handprint Dinosaur Craft
- Dinosaur Ten Frame Addition
- Color Matching Dinosaur Activity
- Dino Number Recognition Games
- Dinosaur Worksheets Preschool
- Dinosaur Printables
- Printable Dinosaur Color by Number Worksheets
- Find the Letter Dinosaur Alphabet Fun
- Dino Bones Punctuation Game
- Printable Dinosaur Sight Words Activity
- Free Dinosaur Math Worksheets
- Color Matching Dinosaur Printables
- HUGE pack of Dinosaur Worksheets
- Even more ideas to add to your dinosaur theme
Insect activities for preschoolers
If are looking for more bug activities for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners – including lots of free insect printables, you will love these FREE resources:
- Peek-a-Bug Insect Alphabet Printable – four abc games to help kids learn their ABCs, match upper and lowercase letters, and more!
- Ladybug Ladybug Activities for Preschoolers activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Bug Free printable sight word games is a simple-to-play way to practice sight words with preschool, kindergarten, and first grade students
- I is for Inchworm insect activities including a worm observation book
- Stamped Potato Bee Craft for spring
- Firefly Preschool Counting Worksheets
- Gummy Worm Edible Slime
- Fun, hands-on Spiders Activities for Preschoolers Activities
- Quick-and-Easy Spider Slime
- All About Earthworm Life Cycle Worksheets
- Insect Printables for Preschoolers 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet Pages
- Bug color by blend worksheet – Coloring by Blends
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Spider for Kids worksheets
- Ladybug Life cycle for Kids worksheets
- Free Bee Counting Game
- Lots of fun, hands-on learning ideas in this Free Insect Activities for Preschoolers
- Bee and Insect Theme Preschool
- SUPER cute Spider Counting Activity with Playdough Mats
- Fun, Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
- Ladybug Addition Math Game for Kindergartners and Grade 1 students
- Bug free printable sight word books pdf – children will cut and paste sentences, color the insect coloring pages, and practice reading sight words
- Free Printable, Simple Bug Coloring Pages for kids
- Life Cycle of a Mosquito Printables
- Insect Worksheets to learn about lots of different bugs in our world
- Practice Letters A-Z with these Free Insect Printables
- Learn all about ants with these creative ant activities for preschoolers
- Bug Math Worksheets for pre-k and kindergarten students
- Cute Bug Counting Bugs Worksheet
- Measuring Lines of Bugs Preschool Measurement Worksheets
- Count and Clip Bugs Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Buzzing Bees Numbers 1-12 Worksheets
- I Spy Printables pdf – bug activity sheets
- Bee CVC Words Activity for Kids
- Bug Themed Find the letter worksheets pdf
- FUN Backyard Critter Bug Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Ladybug Counting Mats
- Silly Worm Count to 10 Sticker Worksheets
- Free Printable Insect Mini Book to learn about bug life cycles
- Hands-on Spider Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Free, Educational Insect Coloring Pages pdf for kids
- Help children work on spelling their name with these insect free printable name recognition activities
- Plus don’t miss these fun-to-read bug books for preschool