This Valentine’s Day, mix the season with a fun science activity that even kindergarten kiddos can participate in. Kids will love making this Valentines Day Science Experiment where they will make salt crystal hearts using table salt! There are so many fun things to learn with this hands on science activity. Try making hearts of various sizes and see which one makes the biggest crystals.
Valentines Day Salt Crystal Hearts
Kids are going to love this fun Valentines Day science experiment where they will turn ordinary table salt into stunningly beautiful heart crystals. This is such an epic kids activity for February!
What you will need to make salt crystal hearts:
- Pipe cleaners
- Pencils (1 per jar)
NOTE: Since this project requires boiling water, it should not be done by children alone. Adult supervision is recommended for this activity.
How to Make Salt Crystals
To make this beautiful Valentines Day Science Experiment you will need to fill your mason jar with water, then pour that water into a small sauce pan on the stove. Heat to boiling, then add salt until crystals start to form on the surface of the water. Remove from heat.
Pour the hot water into the jars. Take two pipe cleaners and twist them together. Form the pipe cleaners into a heart shape. Use a small piece of pipe cleaner to attach the center of the heart to the pencil. This will keep it suspended in the water. Wait 24 to 48 hours for the salt crystals to form. The longer you wait, the bigger the crystals will get. Place the crystals on a paper towel to dry.
Once dry, use a magnifying glass to inspect the crystals. What shape are they? Once finished, you can hang the crystals in the classroom or at home for a fun Valentine’s Day decoration!
Salt Crystal Scientific Explanation
This experiment teaches children about solutions, evaporation, ionic bonds, and dissolving solids. Kids will be begging to learn more about these concepts when they are done with their crystal hearts. Make sure you see all our Kindergarten Science Activities!
FREE Valentine’s Day Printables
This Valentines Day Science Experiment is perfect to celebrate during the month of February. Here are a couple other resources you will love:
- Valentine’s Day Number Book
- Valentine’s Day Candy Box Math
- Valentine’s Day Clip Cards (Numbers 11-20)
- Valentine Heart Number Match
- Valentine’s Day Estimation
- Valentine Alphabet Match
- Valentine’s Day Counting Cards
- Valentine’s Day Rhyming Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Valentine’s Day Alphabet Book
More Amazing Science Projects for Kids
- Water Balloon Density Experiment
- Rainbow Density Science Experiment
- Red White and Blue Science Project
- Why Does it Float? (Density for Kids)
- Egg Density Experiment
- Colorful Water & Oil Science Experiment
- Fizzing Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Experiment
- Free Animal Habitats sticker Worksheets
- Flower Science Experiment
- Month-by-Month Science Experiments for Kids