Help kids have fun while learning about the Life Cycle of an Ant with this free printable life cycle worksheet for Kindergartners.
Life Cycle Worksheets
As the warmer months hit kids will be playing outside more and observing nature around them. Children who love playing in the dirt are sure to notice plenty of ant hills. Life cycles can be fascinating for children to grasp as they are foreign to them and often happen relatively quickly. A fun summer science lesson is teaching your children about the ants life cycle.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these no prep educational worksheets you can use to teach children about the ant life cycle. These are great for summer learning, science centers, extra practice, or as enrichment working with any curriculum. Use this with pre k, kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3.
Life Cycle of an Ant
A basic life cycle of a ant consists of four phases.
- Egg: Ant eggs are oval shaped. Fertilized eggs produce female ants and unfertilized eggs produce male ants.
- Larva: These are worm like and have no eyes or legs. They eat food that adult ants regurgitate. Larva will molt many times while increasing in size.
- Pupa: Once the larva reaches a particular size it will form a cocoon which is like silk around itself. It is during this time that the pupa will transform into an ant.
- Ant: An ant emerges from the cocoon. The process can take 10 weeks. Share with your children that black ant queens can live 15 years while worker ants can live up to 5 years. There is a species of ants that can live up to 3o years. Ants have the longest lifespan of all insects.
- Life Cyle of an Ant Pack (freebie)
- stick glue, white elemer’s glue, or tape
- crayons, markers, colored pencil, gel pens, etc.
- ant hill (optional, but a great way to witness the life cycle first hand)
- books about ants (optional, but great for rounding out your ant unit – see above)
Since the weather is warmer out it is a great time for children to observe ants firsthand. The worksheets will help your child understand the life cycle of an ant.
- The first page allows your child to cut and paste and display the life cycle.
- The second page can be cut out and used as ant life cycle flash cards or a ant mini book to remind your child of the life cycle of the ant.
For more fun facts about ants watch this National Geographic ANTS slideshow, watch this video on Fire Ants by National Geographic, or take a trip the library. You and your children will be amazing how much there is to know about these tiny insects.
Life Cycle Printables
Looking for more free printables to help you learn about life cycles? You will love these resources:
- Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets
- Apple Life Cycle Worksheets
- Sunflower Life Cycle Worksheets
- Penguin Life Cycle Worksheets
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheets
- Chicken Life Cycle Worksheets
- Frog Life Cycle Worksheets
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets
- Hatching Butterflies Life Cycle Worksheets
Ant Life Cycle Worksheet
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!