Young learners will love this silly Lion Rhyming Words Activity! Simply print FREE printable and let students use a hole puncher to practice rhyming!
Rhyming Words Activity
Kindergarten kids will LOVE this CVC center! Kids will choose a card and find the matching short vowel sound and then use a hole puncher to identify short vowel words that rhyme with the word on each lion card. These are practically print and go cards! This hands-on education activity is a great way for prek, kindergarten, and first graders to practice rhyming.
A multitude of research has shown a correlation between rhyming and reading preparedness. Manipulating words when rhyming helps kids improve their oral language skills. Finally, Phonemic awareness lays the groundwork for written language.
For parents, teachers, and homeschoolers to prepare this cvc words rhyming activity, you will need just a few items;
- A4 paper
- Printer (the freebie is in black and white to help you save on printing costs)
- Scissors (to cut the lion heads out; students could do this themselves )
- Hole puncher (this activity is fantastic way to help preschoolers and kindergartners improve coordination and strengthen those muscles they will need to begin writing letters and words!)
Print as many cards as you need for the number of students in your class. There are 6 different rhyming lions to make in this printable pack. If using for a literacy center, be sure to have enough of those cards for your center.
- You could also choose to laminate the cards and use them with dry erase markers.
- Students could turn this kindergarten literacy activity into a craft by threading yellow / orange / brown yarn threw the holes they made and tying it. Threading yarn is a wonderful way for children to develop small-muscle control and strength in their fingers. They will need these muscles when learning to write!
I LOVE using learning mats – they are so much fun for kids and best of all, they are quick to setup and play! Use these cards to help kids learn to read and identify rhyming and CVC short vowel words. We know that with learning, repetition and practice is key. Kids will be motivated to find and use the hole puncher to identify their CVC words short vowel sounds. After you’ve printed and the cards, place them on the table and show the kids what they need to do. They choose a card and read the short vowel CVC word on the ‘lion’s nose’, they then find and read words on the mane and hole punch the rhyming words to complete the mane. They continue to do so until they have found all the matches for that card. Encourage them to say the word on the card as they hole punch it.
CVC words can be difficult for kindergarten kids. Encourage them to work on their reading and rhyming skills with this set of fun cards! You could also choose to print two pages on one to save paper.
- Back to School Rhyming Activity – kids will be excited to practice rhyming words with these low prep puzzles
- Rhyming Rainbows is a springtime activity for kindergarnters to practice!
- Rhyming Word Family Strips – ready, set, action! These film strip themed rhyming activity is sure to be a hit with your students
- Dig into to this Farmer and the Dell Rhyming sensory bin for kids
- Butterfly Rhyming Game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me is a great way for kindergarten and first graders to practice this early reading skill
- If you are working on words with similar patterns mid year, try these super cute Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Rhyming Picture Clip Cards are a fun, resuable activity perfect for your next literacy center
- Strawberry Picking Rhyming cards are as fun as they are cute with the adorable summer clipart
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhymes
- Kids love cut and paste worksheets! These Valentines Day Rhymes are a fun way to practice
- Robot Rhyming Puzzles are sure to be a hit with your young learners
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Snowman Word Family Printable Spinners
- Christmas Tree Word Family Game
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Game
- Turkey Word Family Activity
- Kindergarten Word Family Sliders
- CVC Words Booklents – short “a”
- Pumpkin Word Family Printables
- Easter Word Family Activity
- Flower Word Family worksheets Cut & Paste
- Transportation Word Family Printable Sliders (Blends)
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Rhyming Word Family Printable Strips
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Families Kindergarten
Download Lion CVC WOrds
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Download Lion Rhymes <<