This fun, free printable rhyming game is a great way to help kindergartners and grade 1 students practice looking for patterns in words. This rhyming words activities has a fun winter theme making it a great way to work on literacy skills in December and January. Simply print the Rhyming word activities for kindergarten and you are ready to play and learn!
Rhyming word games for kindergarten
Our free printable rhyming game is perfect for kindergarten students just starting to read. This game will help your child practice sounding out and matching rhyming words. Not only is this game fun and engaging, but it is also practices an essential skill that will help your child become a successful reader.
Why Teach Rhyming?
There are many reasons why we teach rhyming. One of the most important reasons is that it helps children develop their phonological awareness. Phonological awareness is the ability to hear and identify the individual sounds in words. Rhyming is just one component of phonological awareness, but it is significant.
Research shows that students who can identify rhyme units have an easier time learning to read. That is why young children must practice rhyming skills. Young learners need lots of practice, and it needs to be fun!
Printable rhyming game
To help you, we have created our free printable rhyming game! As you know, children enjoy games, and this one is sure to be a hit in your classroom. It is very easy to prep and doesn’t require a lot of materials. The game comes in two versions, so you can choose what works best for you!
- Black and white for those of you who do not have access to color printers
The game is winter-themed, so it is perfect for this year. We based it on the popular Bump games, which children seem to love. Many children are familiar with this game, so that will make it easier.
Rhyming games for kindergarten
We have used CVC words to keep things simple and targeted 5 different word families
Rhyming word activities
This easy game practices two primary skills
- Sounding out CVC words
- Matching those words to another world with the same sound
Rhyming word activities for kindergarten
This game includes two versions of the bump mat and a spinner. It also consists of some simple instructions.
Children need to be able to sound out or read CVC words to play this game. They also need some understanding of rhyming. This game is the perfect way to help the students practice their rhyming skills. The game is great for literacy centers, but you could also send parents the link for this post and suggest making their own set.
You will need
- The game pdf (see below)
- Small markers that can be stacked, we used link cubes, but Lego would also work
- Arrow game spinners
- Laminator (optional)
Rhyming words game printable
- Print game boards and spinner on cardstock
- Laminate for durability if you wish
- Punch a hole in the middle of the game spinner and assemble the spinner parts.
NOTE If you don’t have a game spinner, you can use a brad and a paper clip. This video shows you how to do that.
Rhyming words free printables
- Each player gets 10 cubes.
- The first player gives the spinner a whirl and reads the word.
- They find a rhyming word on the mat and place a cube on top of it.
- If another player already has a cube on a word they need, it can be bumped off.
- If a player already has a cube on the word, they can stack another on top and freeze the spot. You cannot bump frozen words.
- The first person to put all their cubes on the mat wins.
If you want to make the game last longer, increase the number of cubes.
- Invite children to pick a word and make a list of words that rhyme with it. Perhaps they could make and illustrate rhyming books.
- Challenge them to make a Dr. Seuss-type rhyming sentence and illustrate it.
“The hen in the Glenn counts slowly up to ten. Should we put this clever hen inside a pen?”
Looking for more practice rhyming? Practice does make perfect as the saying goes. We have lots free rhyming printables to help your children get lots of practice – from puzzles, matching activities, worksheets, games, activities and more. Plus don’t miss these rhyming books for kindergarten.
- These rhyming word worksheet pages are super cute and perfect for practice anytime!
- We have lots of fun rhyming puzzles to choose: simple rhyming words for kindergarten, robot rhyming activities, pencil rhyming word activity, or baseball cvc rhyming words
- These clipcards allow students to practice rhyming pictures
- Work on phonics skills with this rhyming ng words for kids game
- Lights… Camera…. RHYME! Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities for Kindergarten
- Cooking up Rhymes Kindergarten Rhyming Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun Rhyming Games for Pre-k (cute school glue theme)
- No one does rhymes like Dr Seuss! Try our free printable Green Eggs and Ham Worksheets or One Fish, Two Fish Dr Seuss Rhyming Games
- Find the missing words Rhyming worksheets for kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Hey Diddle Diddle rhyming pictures activity
- For your super-hero fan, you’ll love these superhero literacy rhyming mats
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words or these
- Pumpkin Worksheets and games that work on rhyming
- In December, try these rhming christmas worksheets for kindergarten or these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Check out these winter rhyming puzzles to choose from: hot cocoa puzzle winter activities for kindergarten, hat winter theme activity ideas for kinderarten,
- BUMP boardgame winter activity for kindergarten, cute mitten activities for kindergarten matching rhymes
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Looking for spring rhymes? Try these bunny spring rhyming words worksheets, cute egg puzzles with Easter rhyming words, butterfly printable rhyming games, planting tulips rhyming activity for kindergarten, st patricks day donut rhyming game, rhyming words on these flower worksheets
- or these rainbow activities for kindergarten matching rhyming w0rds
- In summer you’ll love this watermelon rhyming activity these flower rhyming worksheets, this matching rhymes summer activity for kindergarten, beehive Rhyming Games for Preschoolers, or this Bee Clip-it rhyming activity for kindergarten
- or this cute smore Matching Rhyming Words Activity
- Rhyming with Valentine’s Day cut and paste worksheets
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Super cute rhyming words worksheets pdf
Games are a fun way to help children develop their rhyming skills. It is designed to target their ability to identify rhyme units in words. Our free printable rhyming game is just what you need. It is easy to prep and does not require many materials. It is also a lot of fun to play and could become a very popular activity in your classroom. So, print it today and help your students become successful readers!
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Simple Winter Coloring Sheets
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Snowamn PrintablesLooking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Arctic Animal Worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!