Kick of the first day of school with this super cute and fun Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten. The glue stick rhyming puzzles are a fun way to work on literacy to improve reading skills with preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low prep back to school activity for children! Simply download pdf file with rhyming activity for an epic first day of kindergarten activities.
Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
Rhyming teaches children how language works; it helps them to notice and work with the sounds within words. Once students are familiar with a rhyme, they will anticipate the sound of another word. As early learners learn this skill, they will be prepared to make predictions when they read, another important reading skill. This fun back to school rhyming activity for kindergarteners is a great way to working on this skill.
First Day of Kindergarten Activities
Rhyming activities for first grade
Print the rhyming activity in color on cardstock or laminate for durability. I like to store my activity in a large ziplock bag or file folder to bring out throughout the year for a fun rhyming activity for kindergartners.
Rhyming game for kindergarten
Next, cut along the solid lines to make 6 rhyming glue sticks per page. Finally, cut the glue sticks along the solid line to cut them in half. You are all ready to practice kindergarten rhyming words with this fun rhyming activity for back to school!
To complete the rhyming puzzles, students will hold up a piece and say what is pictured out loud. In the above example we are holding a “star”. Kindergarten and first grade students will then look for a word that sounds like / rhymes with star. Star and car rhyme.
To make the activity a little easier, put out fewer pieces to match up at a time.
HINT: This activity can be made self checking by writing the words / matches on the back of the pieces.
Rhyming Words for Kindergarten
Repeat until all the puzzle pieces are matched up. This is such a fun way for kids to practice rhyming words for kindergarten in this literacy activity perfect for back to school or all year long! Rhymes included in this sticky set are:
- nest / west
- rain / plane
- key / bee
- kite / bite
- dog / frog
- chair / bear
- splash / flash
- moon / spoon
- eye / pie
- gate / skate
- honey / bunny
- star / car
First day of school activities for kindergarten
- Glue Number Bonds Worksheets – practicing addition within 20
- Practice what comes next with these Back to School Math pencil counting strips
- Work on color recognition with these adorable Crayon Box Craft for Preschoolers and Kindergartens
- Record your child’s favorite as they head off to school with these All about me printable poster for kindergarten
- Celebrate the 1st day of School with these First Day of School Hat.
- Back to School Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Back to School Counting Puzzles
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School 1-10 Number Worksheets
- Back to School Color by Number
- Free School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- I Spy Back to School Printable
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- Back to School Theme for Preschoolers
- Apple Worksheet Preschool
- Crayon Colors Printable Crafts for Kids
- School Bus Beginning Sounds Activity
- Free Back to School Coloring Pages
- Free printable first day of school signs
- School Supplies Tracing Lines Free Printables
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Free Back to School Worksheets – Crack the Code
- School Supplies Free sudoku printables
- Back to School Printables Bundle
- Super cute, Free All About Me Printable Poster for Kindergarten
- Learn the importance of handwashing with this germ experiment for kids!
Looking for more practice rhyming? Practice does make perfect as the saying goes. We have lots free rhyming printables to help your children get lots of practice – from puzzles, matching activities, worksheets, games, activities and more. Plus don’t miss these rhyming books for kindergarten.
- These rhyming word worksheet pages are super cute and perfect for practice anytime!
- We have lots of fun rhyming puzzles to choose: simple rhyming words for kindergarten, robot rhyming activities, pencil rhyming word activity, or baseball cvc rhyming words
- These clipcards allow students to practice rhyming pictures
- Work on phonics skills with this rhyming ng words for kids game
- Lights… Camera…. RHYME! Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities for Kindergarten
- Cooking up Rhymes Kindergarten Rhyming Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun Rhyming Games for Pre-k (cute school glue theme)
- No one does rhymes like Dr Seuss! Try our free printable Green Eggs and Ham Worksheets or One Fish, Two Fish Dr Seuss Rhyming Games
- Find the missing words Rhyming worksheets for kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Hey Diddle Diddle rhyming pictures activity
- For your super-hero fan, you’ll love these superhero literacy rhyming mats
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words or these
- Pumpkin Worksheets and games that work on rhyming
- In December, try these rhming christmas worksheets for kindergarten or these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Check out these winter rhyming puzzles to choose from: hot cocoa puzzle winter activities for kindergarten, hat winter theme activity ideas for kinderarten,
- BUMP boardgame winter activity for kindergarten, cute mitten activities for kindergarten matching rhymes
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Looking for spring rhymes? Try these bunny spring rhyming words worksheets, cute egg puzzles with Easter rhyming words, butterfly printable rhyming games, planting tulips rhyming activity for kindergarten, st patricks day donut rhyming game, rhyming words on these flower worksheets
- or these rainbow activities for kindergarten matching rhyming w0rds
- In summer you’ll love this watermelon rhyming activity these flower rhyming worksheets, this matching rhymes summer activity for kindergarten, beehive Rhyming Games for Preschoolers, or this Bee Clip-it rhyming activity for kindergarten
- or this cute smore Matching Rhyming Words Activity
- Rhyming with Valentine’s Day cut and paste worksheets
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Super cute rhyming words worksheets pdf
- Free Alphabet coloring pages
- Kindergarten Worksheets
- Free printable alphabet worksheets
- Winter color by number
- LOTS of free alphabet worksheets
- Kindergarten alphabet worksheets
- Dinosaur printables
- Free kindergarten math games
- Free alphabet worksheets
- free kindergarten worksheets
Printable Rhyming Games
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Thank you so much for all your fun worksheets!! It has been a tremendous help. Having four kids keeps me busy, so my youngest is able to work on these with an older sibling while I am working individually with another kid. Thank you so much!!