Kick of the first day of school with this super cute and fun Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten. The glue stick rhyming puzzles are a fun way to work on literacy to improve reading skills with preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low prep back to school activity for children! Simply download pdf file with rhyming activity for an epic first day of kindergarten activities.
Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
Rhyming teaches children how language works; it helps them to notice and work with the sounds within words. Once students are familiar with a rhyme, they will anticipate the sound of another word. As early learners learn this skill, they will be prepared to make predictions when they read, another important reading skill. This fun back to school rhyming activity for kindergarteners is a great way to working on this skill.
First Day of Kindergarten Activities
Rhyming activities for first grade
Print the rhyming activity in color on cardstock or laminate for durability. I like to store my activity in a large ziplock bag or file folder to bring out throughout the year for a fun rhyming activity for kindergartners.
Rhyming game for kindergarten
Next, cut along the solid lines to make 6 rhyming glue sticks per page. Finally, cut the glue sticks along the solid line to cut them in half. You are all ready to practice kindergarten rhyming words with this fun rhyming activity for back to school!
To complete the rhyming puzzles, students will hold up a piece and say what is pictured out loud. In the above example we are holding a “star”. Kindergarten and first grade students will then look for a word that sounds like / rhymes with star. Star and car rhyme.
To make the activity a little easier, put out fewer pieces to match up at a time.
HINT: This activity can be made self checking by writing the words / matches on the back of the pieces.
Rhyming Words for Kindergarten
Repeat until all the puzzle pieces are matched up. This is such a fun way for kids to practice rhyming words for kindergarten in this literacy activity perfect for back to school or all year long! Rhymes included in this sticky set are:
- nest / west
- rain / plane
- key / bee
- kite / bite
- dog / frog
- chair / bear
- splash / flash
- moon / spoon
- eye / pie
- gate / skate
- honey / bunny
- star / car
First day of school activities for kindergarten
- Glue Number Bonds Worksheets – practicing addition within 20
- Practice what comes next with these Back to School Math pencil counting strips
- Work on color recognition with these adorable Crayon Box Craft for Preschoolers and Kindergartens
- Record your child’s favorite as they head off to school with these All about me printable poster for kindergarten
- Celebrate the 1st day of School with these First Day of School Hat.
- Back to School Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Back to School Counting Puzzles
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School 1-10 Number Worksheets
- Back to School Color by Number
- Free School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- I Spy Back to School Printable
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- Back to School Theme for Preschoolers
- Apple Worksheet Preschool
- Crayon Colors Printable Crafts for Kids
- School Bus Beginning Sounds Activity
- Free Back to School Coloring Pages
- Free printable first day of school signs
- School Supplies Tracing Lines Free Printables
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Free Back to School Worksheets – Crack the Code
- School Supplies Free sudoku printables
- Back to School Printables Bundle
- Super cute, Free All About Me Printable Poster for Kindergarten
- Rainbow Rhyming Words Puzzles
- Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities
- Cooking up Rhymes Do a Dot Printables
- Butterfly Rhyming Games
- Rhyming Clip Cards
- Printable Strawberry Themed Rhyming Cards
- Robot Rhyme Puzzle Game
- Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Smores Rhyming Games for Preschoolers
- Beehive Rhyming Games for Preschool
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Free Alphabet coloring pages
- Kindergarten Worksheets
- Free printable alphabet worksheets
- Winter color by number
- LOTS of free alphabet worksheets
- Kindergarten alphabet worksheets
- Dinosaur printables
- Free kindergarten math games
- Free alphabet worksheets
- free kindergarten worksheets
Printable Rhyming Games
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!