Are your little superhero fans starting to read? Encourage early literacy skills by helping them practice rhyming with these super cute, free printable superhero rhyming mats! This is such a fun rhyming activities for kindergarten, pre-k, and first grade students. Print pdf file with free printable rhyming activities for kindergarten.
Identifying rhyming words is a skill a child learns from a young age through nursery rhymes. There is a reason- other than having fun, we teach nursery rhymes and rhyming patterns. The reason is phonological awareness- the ability to hear different sounds in words. This is a crucial skill for reading. If a child can identify rhyming words, it means he/she can hear the sounds the word is made up of and can read and spell it when taught phonemes(letters that make the sound).
Use these superhero rhyming mats to practice those skills in a fun way!
Rhyming activities for kindergarten
Print the pages (there are 10 rhyming mats and 3 sheets with rhyming word cards). Laminate if you wish to make it more durable. Then cut out the rhyming word cards.
Firstly, pick a rhyming mat. Read the question and look at the picture to determine which word you are finding rhyming words for. Read the rhyming word cards out loud(to hear the sounds). For example: What rhymes with “net”? “pet, “wet”, “jet” and “met”.
Rhyming word activities
Find the cards that fit and place it on the blocks provided. Move to the next rhyming mat.
Most students will pick up that the last letters of all these words look the same. It looks the same and sounds the same thus we call it rhyming words! This is but the first step for early readers to identify rhyming words. You can choose to extend this activity for older kids to explain that not all words that rhyme look the same, some sounds are the same but when it is spelled you use different letters. Eg. square, air and bear all sounds the same at the end, but are spelled with a different spelling variation of the sound.
Practice reading and rhyming with your superheroes using our superhero rhyming mats and develop that important skill- phonological awareness, while having fun learning!
- Back to School Rhyming Activity – kids will be excited to practice rhyming words with these low prep puzzles
- Rhyming Rainbows is a springtime activity for kindergarnters to practice!
- Rhyming Word Family Strips – ready, set, action! These film strip themed rhyming activity is sure to be a hit with your students
- Dig into to this Farmer and the Dell Rhyming sensory bin for kids
- Butterfly Rhyming Game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me is a great way for kindergarten and first graders to practice this early reading skill
- If you are working on words with similar patterns mid year, try these super cute Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Rhyming Picture Clip Cards are a fun, resuable activity perfect for your next literacy center
- Strawberry Picking Rhyming cards are as fun as they are cute with the adorable summer clipart
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhymes
- Kids love cut and paste worksheets! These Valentines Day Rhymes are a fun way to practice
- Robot Rhyming Puzzles are sure to be a hit with your young learners
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
Looking for some more superhero worksheets, activities, and free printables to get your little super man excited to learn? Try these free resources!
- Super cute and FREE Super Hero Calendar (updated annually)
- Practice letter recognition with this Free Super Hero Memory Game
- Super Hero Number Bond Game and Worksheet
- Free Super Hero Letter Cuffs are a great tool for a letter of the week curriculum – lots of clever use ideas included!
- Help kids get excited about reading with these Free Super Hero Reading Logs
- Printable Super Hero Readers are a fun, free way for kids to practice sight words
- Kids will have fun with this clever Super Hero Birthday Party
- Free Super Hero Alphabet Pennants are fun to hang on your wall to work on learning your ABCs.
- Early learners can work on a variety of skills from math to literacy, alphabet and more with these FREE Super Hero Worksheets
Print Super Hero Rhymes
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!