Are your little superhero fans starting to read? Encourage early literacy skills by helping them practice rhyming with these super cute, free printable superhero rhyming mats! This is such a fun rhyming activities for kindergarten, pre-k, and first grade students. Print pdf file with free printable rhyming activities for kindergarten.
Identifying rhyming words is a skill a child learns from a young age through nursery rhymes. There is a reason- other than having fun, we teach nursery rhymes and rhyming patterns. The reason is phonological awareness- the ability to hear different sounds in words. This is a crucial skill for reading. If a child can identify rhyming words, it means he/she can hear the sounds the word is made up of and can read and spell it when taught phonemes(letters that make the sound).
Use these superhero rhyming mats to practice those skills in a fun way!
Rhyming activities for kindergarten
Print the pages (there are 10 rhyming mats and 3 sheets with rhyming word cards). Laminate if you wish to make it more durable. Then cut out the rhyming word cards.
Firstly, pick a rhyming mat. Read the question and look at the picture to determine which word you are finding rhyming words for. Read the rhyming word cards out loud(to hear the sounds). For example: What rhymes with “net”? “pet, “wet”, “jet” and “met”.
Rhyming word activities
Find the cards that fit and place it on the blocks provided. Move to the next rhyming mat.
Most students will pick up that the last letters of all these words look the same. It looks the same and sounds the same thus we call it rhyming words! This is but the first step for early readers to identify rhyming words. You can choose to extend this activity for older kids to explain that not all words that rhyme look the same, some sounds are the same but when it is spelled you use different letters. Eg. square, air and bear all sounds the same at the end, but are spelled with a different spelling variation of the sound.
Practice reading and rhyming with your superheroes using our superhero rhyming mats and develop that important skill- phonological awareness, while having fun learning!
Looking for more practice rhyming? Practice does make perfect as the saying goes. We have lots free rhyming printables to help your children get lots of practice – from puzzles, matching activities, worksheets, games, activities and more. Plus don’t miss these rhyming books for kindergarten.
- These rhyming word worksheet pages are super cute and perfect for practice anytime!
- We have lots of fun rhyming puzzles to choose: simple rhyming words for kindergarten, robot rhyming activities, pencil rhyming word activity, or baseball cvc rhyming words
- These clipcards allow students to practice rhyming pictures
- Work on phonics skills with this rhyming ng words for kids game
- Lights… Camera…. RHYME! Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities for Kindergarten
- Cooking up Rhymes Kindergarten Rhyming Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun Rhyming Games for Pre-k (cute school glue theme)
- No one does rhymes like Dr Seuss! Try our free printable Green Eggs and Ham Worksheets or One Fish, Two Fish Dr Seuss Rhyming Games
- Find the missing words Rhyming worksheets for kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Hey Diddle Diddle rhyming pictures activity
- For your super-hero fan, you’ll love these superhero literacy rhyming mats
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words or these
- Pumpkin Worksheets and games that work on rhyming
- In December, try these rhming christmas worksheets for kindergarten or these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Check out these winter rhyming puzzles to choose from: hot cocoa puzzle winter activities for kindergarten, hat winter theme activity ideas for kinderarten,
- BUMP boardgame winter activity for kindergarten, cute mitten activities for kindergarten matching rhymes
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Looking for spring rhymes? Try these bunny spring rhyming words worksheets, cute egg puzzles with Easter rhyming words, butterfly printable rhyming games, planting tulips rhyming activity for kindergarten, st patricks day donut rhyming game, rhyming words on these flower worksheets
- or these rainbow activities for kindergarten matching rhyming w0rds
- In summer you’ll love this watermelon rhyming activity these flower rhyming worksheets, this matching rhymes summer activity for kindergarten, beehive Rhyming Games for Preschoolers, or this Bee Clip-it rhyming activity for kindergarten
- or this cute smore Matching Rhyming Words Activity
- Rhyming with Valentine’s Day cut and paste worksheets
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Super cute rhyming words worksheets pdf
Looking for some more superhero worksheets, activities, and free printables to get your little super man excited to learn? Try these free resources!
- Super cute and FREE Super Hero Calendar (updated annually)
- Practice letter recognition with this Free Super Hero Memory Game
- Super Hero Number Bond Game and Worksheet
- Free Super Hero Letter Cuffs are a great tool for a letter of the week curriculum – lots of clever use ideas included!
- Help kids get excited about reading with these Free Super Hero Reading Logs
- Printable Super Hero Readers are a fun, free way for kids to practice sight words
- Kids will have fun with this clever Super Hero Birthday Party
- Free Super Hero Alphabet Pennants are fun to hang on your wall to work on learning your ABCs.
- Early learners can work on a variety of skills from math to literacy, alphabet and more with these FREE Super Hero Worksheets
Print Super Hero Rhymes
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!