This super cute, back to school activity is great for learning and review math skills with preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children. Grab the pattern printable with a fun school bus theme. Then have students copy the pattern using shape manipulatives. This pattern activity is a fun way for kids to play and learn!
Copy the pattern
Looking for a fun way to get kindergarten kids to learn shapes? Do you have a preschool binder that you currently use and add activities to? This 2D shape Match activity mat includes 2D shapes with patterns to work on. Pattern recognition is a crucial skill for young children that helps them make sense of the world around them. This school bus copy the pattern activity will make learning shapes and patterns enjoyable and interactive. Use this pattern activities with preschoolers and kindergartners as a fun back to school activity.
In this activity, children will embark on a creative journey by finding plastic shape buttons and copying the same pattern onto a bus-shaped strip.
Pattern blocks kindergarten
This hands-on experience will not only reinforce shape recognition but also foster creativity and fine motor skills.
- A4 paper
- Plastic 2D shapes
- Scissors (to cut and separate the cards)
- Lamination pockets
Print as many sets as you need for the number of groups in your class. If you are using these in a center, it’s a great idea if you have an extra set just in case you want another group to get started on the activity. There are 8 shapes and two mats (one in colour and one in black and white).
The activity requires plastic shape buttons, a bus-shaped strip with empty spaces, and a reference guide illustrating the desired pattern (strips in the printable). Children will search for the matching shape buttons and place them in the correct order on the bus-shaped strip, replicating the pattern shown in the reference guide.
This shapes mat is such a fun way for kids to practice learning shape names and patterns! Print as many as you need for the number of students in your class!
How to play:
- Gather plastic shape buttons and a bus-shaped strip with empty spaces. You can find plastic shape buttons from craft stores or repurpose buttons of various shapes.
- Prepare a reference guide that shows a specific pattern using the shape buttons. For example, the pattern may consist of a circle, square, circle, triangle, circle.
- Introduce the shape buttons and the bus-shaped strip to the child, explaining that they need to find the corresponding shape buttons and place them in the correct order on the bus strip to make the same patterns.
- Show the child the reference guide and explain that their task is to replicate the pattern using the shape buttons.
- Encourage the child to search for the shape buttons that match the reference guide and place them in the corresponding spaces on the bus strip.
- Once the child completes the pattern, they can examine their finished bus and compare it to the reference guide.
The patterns activity offers several benefits for children.
- Firstly, it enhances shape recognition skills as children search for specific shape buttons and place them in the correct order.
- Additionally, it promotes pattern recognition, which is essential for developing mathematical and logical thinking abilities.
- Moreover, the activity improves fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination as children manipulate and accurately place the shape buttons on the bus strip.
- Furthermore, it fosters creativity and imagination as children create their unique patterns. Lastly, the activity stimulates cognitive development by challenging children to observe, analyze, and recreate patterns, promoting critical thinking skills.
Overall, the School Bus pattern practice combines learning with creative play, providing a valuable and engaging experience for children. By combining shape buttons, a bus-shaped strip, and a reference guide, this hands-on activity engages children in a fun and interactive learning experience. It not only reinforces shape recognition and pattern recognition but also fosters fine motor skills, creativity, and cognitive development.
So, hop on board and embark on an exciting journey of shape and pattern discovery!
- Free Shape Matching Wheel Activity
- Shape Buddy Preschool Shape Activities and Crafts
- Free Printable Shapes Worksheets
- Shape Constellation Flashlight Printable
- Free Shape Games
- Ice Cream Shape Mats
- Flower Shape Math Craft
- Carrot Shape Mats
- Preschool Shapes Worksheets
- Teaching Shapes to Preschoolers with Pirate Printable Reader
- FREE Shape Pattern Block Printables
- Chocolate Shape Mats
- Free Printable Shape Flashcards
- Build a Snowman – Free Printable Shape Puzzles
- Popsicle Shape Sorting Mats
- Pumpkin Shape Matching
- Penguin Shape Sorting Activity
- Trace & Erase Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Leaf Shapes for Kids
- Trace the Shape
Back to School Activities
- Back to School BINGO, Back to School Lego Challenge First Week of School Activities, cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Pencil yellow baking soda slime, free printable back to school notes, pencil alphabet matching and free printable playdough mats
- School Bus Beginning Sounds First Day of School Activities, Pencil themed Fraction Puzzles, School Bus Letter Matching Game
- What Comes Next Back to School Math, Crayon Box Letter Matching Back to School Activity , cute Crayon Box Craft to work on learning colors
- Back to School themed Number Matching Activity, Crayon Box CVC Words Activity, Free Hand Washing Printables
- Back to School Activity Count to 20 Clip Cards, Pencil themed Counting Puzzles for Preschoolers, printable Back to School ABC Games, Back to School Theme Preschool, school bus non-standard measurment activities
- School Bus Letter Matching Puzzles – First Day of School Activities, Lots of clever Back to School Crafts or these Back to School Crafts ideas
- Back to School Pencil Punctuation Activities, Glue Stick rhyming activities, Playdough Counting Mat Bus Activities for Preschoolers
- School Supplies tracing lines worksheets for 3 year olds and Back to School Preschool Number Worksheets 1-10
- Crack the Code Back to School Worksheets – addition and subtraction and Color by Hundreds Chart Back to School Worksheets
- Sticky Number Bonds Worksheets, I Spy Colors Crayon Worksheet, Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- I Spy Back to School Worksheets, free School Supplies Tracing Worksheet. fun Back to School Color by Number Worksheets
- Printable Back to School Coloring Pages
- First Day of School Signs, FREE first day of school signs pre-k thru 12th, and fill in all about you First Day of Preschool Sign
- Celebrate First Day of School Preschool Craft and and kindergarten First Day of School Hat Craft
- All About Me Graphic Organizer for the 1st day of school
- Lego All About Me Worksheet, kindergarten All About Me Worksheet, free all about me worksheet preschool
- Watermelon All About Me Poster, clever All About Me Puzzle, and All About Me Poster Pennants
Plus, don’t miss our other FREE kindergarten worksheets and games including THOUSANDS kindergarten worksheets FREE, learn your letters with our Kindergarten Alphabet worksheets, print kindergarten math worksheets or play a kindergarten math game, try an easy kindergarten science experiment, make a cute kindergarten craft, plan your week with our kindergarten themes, grab one of our many kindergarten social studies worksheets, learn to read with word family activities. plus lots of kindergarten sight words activities! We have everything you need for a complete kindergarten homeschool curriculum! Visit 123homeschool4me if you are looking for even more free worksheets or Preschool Play and Learn for preschool worksheets
Back to School Pattern Activity
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!