Nothing says sweet summer time like a refreshing ice cream cone. Today I’m sharing how we pair this delicious dessert with fun story time reads, and an Ice Cream Math Game. Use this fun ice cream math to help preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children to practice counting. Simply print the ice cream printable and you are ready to play and learn some summer math with an ice cream game!
Ice Cream Math
Ice Cream Math Game
Ice Cream for Kids
The photographs in it are by John Williams. It’s a non-fiction look behind the scenes at an ice cream factory. My oldest loves exploring how things work, so this is a great choice for kids with curious minds. The photos are clear, and give kids are great peek at each step along the way. If you’re interested in pairing science with this story time as well, making homemade ice cream in a bag or can would be a perfect extension to Let’s Find Out About Ice Cream.
Ice Cream Book for Kids
Yummy Ice Cream, a sweet board book about sharing. Anna Walker provided the adorable illustrations. This is one of my toddler’s favorites because it features lovable animal friends sharing a sweet treat. Anna Walker’s artwork is lovable and cute, featuring a panda, owl, and a sheep. The text is straight forward, and provides an effective social story to teach sharing.
What You’ll Need
- Printable ice cream cone sheet and die. (Grab yours below!)
- Laminating pouches. (Plastic sheet protectors work well also.)
- Invisible tape or glue sticks.
- Ice cream scoop manipulatives – Pom Poms, buttons, play dough or dry erase markers are great choices.
Ice Cream Game
- Print out and laminate an ice cream cone sheet for each child.
- Print out pairs of die.
- Kids can play alone with their own set, or in a group sharing a set of die and taking turns. It’s a great activity for kids to do independent math practice in a fun way.
- Cut out, fold, and assemble the die using tape or glue.
- Each child rolls the pair of die twice, noting the colors and numbers each time.
- The colored die represents what ‘flavors’ of ice cream to add to their first cone.
- The number die represents how many ‘scoops’ of the flavor to add.
- Using manipulatives, children can ‘scoop’ the appropriate ice cream onto the cones. This is a great hands on way to reinforce 1-1 counting and basic math.
- Kids should add the 2 kinds of ice cream together, and use a dry erase marker to write the total number of scoops on the line under each cone.
- When each cone has been added, remove manipulatives and erase are dry erase marker. Kids can easily start again for more fun.
- When kids have mastered adding two numbers, you can introduce a third roll to add an extra challenge. Younger siblings or students who aren’t quite ready for addition can simply work on counting by rolling the set of die once. This game is easy to customize for a variety of skills and ages.
Ice Cream Activities
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- Kids will go nuts over this edible ice cream sand castle summer snack for kids
- AMAZING, Edible ice cream play doh recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Color Matching Activity for your Ice Cream Theme
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages pdf
- Fun and EASY How to Make ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet
- 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL and EASY!
- Try our delicious and EASY How to make homemade ice cream
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- EPIC Ice Cream Volcano
- Cute I Spy I spy ice cream
- Ice Cream Handprint Craft for toddler and preschool kids
- Simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Bubble Wrap and Puffy Paint Ice Cream craft
- Ice Cream Name Craft with free printable template
- Simple, free printable Ice Cream Coloring Pages
Ice Cream Printables
- Work on tracing letter with these free Alphabet ice cream handwriting paper
- Delicious Alphabet Ice Cream alphabet printable Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Check out these Alphabet Mats for your Ice Cream Theme
- Free printable Alphabet Popsicles matching capital and lowercase letters nad beginning sounds too
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this fun letter tracing
- Match the upper and lowercase letter puzzles in this free ice cream game
- Kids will love building their ABCs with these popsicle stick letters free template
- Ice Cream Compound Word Puzzles or this other set of ice cream compound words
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this word endings worksheets and activity
- Printable Digraph Activities for first grade scooping Ice Cream
- Cut and paste sentences ice cream worksheets
- Popsicle Rhyme and Dab Summer Literacy Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
Ice Cream Worksheets
- Ice Cream Scoop Pattern Activity
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Worksheets
- Count to 10 free printable ice cream counting printable math craft
- Popsicle counting – free printable number sense puzzles
- Number Popsicles – count to 10 clip cards are a fun
- Scoop pom-pom ice cream and count 1-10 with this ice cream counting printable
- Ice Cream Worksheets Preschool – count and trace to ten
- Count to 20 as you build with your free printable ice cream sundae template
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN ice cream pattern printable and activity for kids
- Hands-on Addition with this Ice Cream Math task cards using playdough!
- Free Printable Ice Cream Playdough Mats to learn shapes
- Popsicle Shape Sorting Printable Free
Ice Cream Math
Looking for more fun ways to learn this summer with popsicle themed activities? You will love these free printables:
- Free Printable Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Practice adding to 1o with this cute Make 10 Ice Cream Cut and Paste Activity
- Popsicle Division Puzzles with printable popsicle puzzles makes practicing math FUN
- Or scoop a sunday with this Place Value Ice Cream for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Free Printable Place Value Ice Cream Cone
Ice Cream Story Math
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!