Here is a fun literacy activity that goes with the rhyme ‘Roses are Red, Violets are Blue’: Rhyming Puzzles!
FREE Valentine’s Day Printables
- Valentines Day Color by Number
- Valentine’s Day Number Book
- Hands on Valentine’s Day Candy Box Math
- Numbers 11-20 – Valentine’s Day Clip Cards
- Candy Math – Valentine Heart Number Match
- Roses are Red Rhyming Puzzles
- More Candy math – Valentine’s Day Estimation
- Super cute Valentine Alphabet Match
- Simple Valentine’s Day Counting Cards
- Cut & Paste Valentine’s Day Rhyming
- Free Valentine’s Day Alphabet Book
- H is for Heart Handart Craft
- FREE Valentines Day Hundreds Chart
Valentines Day Poems
A few dried petals in a tray together with the rhyming puzzles make for great sensory learning and the perfect Valentine’s Day activity too- discover the hidden messages! What you need:
- A tray
- dried petals
- THIS printable of the rhymes(or you can make your own)
What to do: After printing out the rhymes, cut it up into puzzle pieces. The older/more able your kids are will determine how many puzzle pieces you will cut. Rather start with cutting it up into only 2 pieces, you can always cut it into more pieces later on after they managed with the two pieces puzzles.
Hide the puzzles in the petals and let your child find the puzzles and match them together to make sense of the rhyme. For example, does “You make the friends forever, by just and you!” make sense? No, so find a puzzle piece that will make more sense… For the early readers: add only one puzzle at a time until they manage to read all the words.
When reading the rhyme, place emphasis on the rhyming words and the sequence of the words. Older kids can make up their own ending to the rhyme too!