Grab this fun rhyming words game with a camping theme perfect for summer learning! In this matching rhyming words activity children will put together the marshmallow words with the campfire with a rhyming word. All you need for this simple rhyming games is our free rhyming words printable and preschoolers or kindergartners. Ready to try this rhyming activities for kindergarten?
Rhyming Words Game
Kindergarten and pre-k kids will LOVE this rhyming activity! Children will pick a CVC stone card, then identify and read the word on the card, then place it on the correct campfire. They will then find matching marshmallow cards with the same rhyming word. They continue this until they sort all the words. This rhyming words game is a fun way to improve rhyming skills, a solid indicator of reading readiness and gving students the key to read words more quickly and easily!
Rhyming Words Printable
- A4 paper
Print as many cards as needed for your students. Have these set up in a center so that kids can benefit from the rhyming activity. Plus, this means you can laminate the cards and have them used repeatedly.
Rhyming games for kindergarten
Rhyming words are an important aspect of early childhood language development. They help children recognize patterns, improve phonological awareness, and enhance their overall reading and writing skills.
Engaging children in interactive and playful activities is an effective way to make learning enjoyable and memorable. In this blog post, we introduce a CVC rhyming words printable activity centered around the theme of campfires and marshmallows.
I always encourage kids to identify the CVC word first, then to look for the rhyming word on the slice.
After you’ve printed and laminated (optional) the cards, place them on the table and show the kids what they need to do. They read the CVC word on the stone, then perhaps identify the short vowel sound, then they look for a matching rhyming CVC words on the marshmallow cards. They place this on top of the fire pit.
Rhyming activities for kindergarten
Benefits of the Activity:
- Phonological Awareness: The activity enhances children’s ability to identify and discriminate between rhyming words, strengthening their phonological skills.
- Vocabulary Expansion: By exposing children to a variety of CVC words, the activity helps broaden their vocabulary and improve their language skills.
- Visual and Tactile Learning: The vibrant visuals of the campfire and marshmallow cards, combined with the physical interaction of matching them, promote multisensory learning and engagement.
- Cooperative Learning: The activity can be enjoyed individually or in a group setting, fostering social interaction and cooperation among children.
You can extend the activity and have the kids write the rhyming words in their books and then write some sentences with he words to show their skills.
This center is very visual, having the words in pictures, I find really helps younger kids identify the rhyming sounds.
CVC words can be difficult for kindergarten kids. Encourage them to work on their reading and rhyming skills with this set of fun printables!
CVC Words Activities
- CVC short a – Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet, Pirate cvc words short a, Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- CVC short e – Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet, Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- CVC short i – Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf, Short I Words Emergent Reader, Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- CVC short o – Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet, Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- CVC short u – Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet, Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles, Crayon CVC Words Activity
- CVC words with pictures pdf Clip Cards, Roll and Read CVC Sentences, Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- Color-the-Letter to spell CVCe Worksheets, free Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets, Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages,, Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets, Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes, Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets, Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets, Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Farm CVC Words Practice, Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free, Heart Penguin CVC Words, “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf, and CVC worksheet collection
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters or Hands-on CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word ActivitiesSeasonal: Scarecrow Fall CVC Words, Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice, Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build, Spring Bird CVC Word Activity, Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Star Wars CVC Games, Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity, Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online, Baseball CVC Rhyming Words, Lion Rhyming Words Activity, Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice, Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity, Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC Words: Beginning Sound Activities, Middle Sound Activities Clip Cards, CVC Ending Sounds clip cards (or version 2), CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump or Color by CVC Words Worksheets
Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
- Letter C Printables for pre k to work on math, literacy, science, social studies, and more!
- Sneak in some fun math with these preschool camping worksheets or kindergarten camping worksheets
- Count to 15 with these camping worksheets for preschoolers or smore mats skip counting activities
- Smores Camping Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Rhyming Words Game with a fun camping theme
- Printable Camping Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- Cute Camping Name Craft for Kids
- Marshmallow Ten Frame Activity with marshmallow template or this fun marshmallow shooter experiment
- Camping Tracing Worksheets to improve fine motor skills
- S’Mores Rhyming Words Activity
- Fun, no prep CAMPFIRE GAMES
- Lots of tips for camping with kids
Matching rhyming words
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!