You can teach kids to skip count with this fun skip counting hands on activities for kindergarten, pre-k, and first grade students. This visual skip counting activity is a concrete way they can understand what skip counting really means. Use this kindergarten math activity to skip count by 2, skip count by 5, and skip count by 10.
Skip counting hands on activities
Skip counting is a vital skill that kids need to make addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division easier. We start teaching skip counting to kindergartners, grade 1 and even preschoolers by grouping things to counting by 2s, counting by 5s, and counting by 10s. This hands-on skip counting activity is such a great way to teach skip counting to kids! This Craft Stick Skip Counting Activity helps kids visualize the numbers they are “skipping” when they count by 2s, 5s, or 10s. These craft stick bundles help children the somewhat difficult concept of abstract numbers. Kids will love playing and counting with the bundles once they realize they help speed the counting process.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this way to teach kindergarten math for extra practice, math center in your homeschool, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Skip counting activity
You just need a few things to make these craft stick counters. These simple tools make the perfect addition to hands-on math time and work well in any math learning center.
You’ll need just a few things to make your craft stick skip counters:
Skip counting activities
Hands on skip counting activities
Tie the bundles together using the same color for each type of bundle. Write the number of craft sticks in each bundle with a permanent marker.
Popsicle stick math activities
Show kids how to practice skip counting to 20 using the craft stick bundles. Show the kids how to they can count each stick individually, or when counted as a bundle, you get to skip numbers and reach your destination number faster.
Let kids explore how each way of counting is the same number of sticks, but getting to there is a little different with each way to skip count.
Skip Counting Activities
Try these fun, skip counting activity ideas to make practicing counting by 2, counting by 3, counting by 5, and counting by 10 fun!
- Free Printable Skip Counting Puzzles 2s-10s or Famous Landmarks Skip Counting Puzzles, Where in the World Skip Counting Puzzles, Monster counting by 4s, Summer Skip Counting Puzzles, Winter Skip Counting puzzles, Thanksgiving counting puzzles, festive Christmas Skip Counting or Christmas Skip Counting Puzzles)
- Printable Kite Skip Counting Craft
- Dab the Turkey Math Counting by 10s
- Clip Cards: Counting by 2s and counting by 3s clip cards, bunny skip counting by 2 activity, Count by 3s Halloween math for kindergarten, penguin skip counting strips, animal Counting in 2s and 3s
- or holiday Kindergarten Christmas math activities
- Free Printable Smores Skip Counting Activities
- Printable Skip Counting Activities completing the Sundaes
- Skip Counting Lacing Plates Activity (self-checking)
- Oregon Trail Themed Skip Counting Game
- Hands-on skip counting activities with craft sticks – great visual!
- Pumpkin seed counting activity
- Free Printable Skip Counting Board Game
Skip Counting Worksheets
- Skip Counting Chart Worksheets 1s-15s
- How to teach skip counting with songs, activities, and a counting in 2s, 3s, and 5s game
- Skip count to complete the connect the dots constellations worksheet pdf
- Follow the Path Skip Counting Worksheets
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Worksheets
- Fun Skip Counting Mazes
- Holiday themed – Christmas Skip Counting Worksheets, Fall Math Worksheets to practice skip counting
- Vegetable Skip Counting Dot to Dot Worksheets
- Under the Sea Skip Counting Dot to Dot
- Free Skip Counting Visuals
- Skip Counting Worksheets – counting by 1s to 15s
- Free Printable Skip Counting Posters 1-12 or these skip counting printables posters 1-15s – fantastic visual for elementary age students
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- Free Christmas Addition worksheets
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Pigs in the Mud Addition Facts to 10
- Butterfly Mats Addition Activity
- See all of our many FREE addition games
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Turkey Addition Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
- St Patricks Day Addition Practice
- Gingerbread Addition Math Game
- Math Mystery Pack – Solve Addition & Subtraction Word Problems