You can teach kids to skip count with this fun skip counting hands on activities for kindergarten, pre-k, and first grade students. This visual skip counting activity is a concrete way they can understand what skip counting really means. Use this kindergarten math activity to skip count by 2, skip count by 5, and skip count by 10.
Skip counting hands on activities
Skip counting is a vital skill that kids need to make addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division easier. We start teaching skip counting to kindergartners, grade 1 and even preschoolers by grouping things to counting by 2s, counting by 5s, and counting by 10s. This hands-on skip counting activity is such a great way to teach skip counting to kids! This Craft Stick Skip Counting Activity helps kids visualize the numbers they are “skipping” when they count by 2s, 5s, or 10s. These craft stick bundles help children the somewhat difficult concept of abstract numbers. Kids will love playing and counting with the bundles once they realize they help speed the counting process.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this way to teach kindergarten math for extra practice, math center in your homeschool, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Skip counting activity
You just need a few things to make these craft stick counters. These simple tools make the perfect addition to hands-on math time and work well in any math learning center.
You’ll need just a few things to make your craft stick skip counters:
Skip counting activities
Hands on skip counting activities
Tie the bundles together using the same color for each type of bundle. Write the number of craft sticks in each bundle with a permanent marker.
Popsicle stick math activities
Show kids how to practice skip counting to 20 using the craft stick bundles. Show the kids how to they can count each stick individually, or when counted as a bundle, you get to skip numbers and reach your destination number faster.
Let kids explore how each way of counting is the same number of sticks, but getting to there is a little different with each way to skip count.
Skip Counting Activities
We have lots of fun skip counting activities and free worksheets for elementary age students!
- Free skip counting games, spring Skip Counting Games, printable skip counting mazes, Oregon Trail math game
- Skip Counting Worksheets 1s-15s, Polar Animals Skip Counting Worksheets, free skip counting dot to dot, fun connect the dots constellations worksheet pdf, follow the path skip counting printables, hundreds chart skip counting chart
- Skip counting charts 1-15, skip counting anchor chart, or these cute Skip Counting posters, cut and paste skip counting worksheets for kindergarten
- Kite skip counting craft, 50+ skip counting puzzles, ocean skip counting dot to dot
- Bunny skip counting printable clip cards, monster skip count by 4 clip cards, penguin skip counting strips, sundae skip counting activities for kindergarten, fairy tale counting in 2s
- Seasonal skip counting: christmas worksheets, free christmas skip counting puzzles, fun fall worksheets, easter math, pumpkin seed skip counting, turkey math, winter math skip counting puzzles
- Smores skip counting activities, hands-on skip counting ideas like self-checking lacing plates, world landmarks skip counting puzzles, number train skip counting activity, skip count star wars worksheets
Kindergarten Math Activities
- Crack the Code Worksheet Pages, insect telling Time Puzzle to the hour and half hour and putting numbers in order to 20 worksheets
- Free Printable Coin Worksheets – color by coin and cute Skip Counting Puzzles
- Dog and Bone Addition Activity for Kindergarten and fun Hundreds Chart Battleship
- Geoboard Activities and watermelon Kindergarten Math Activities
- Months of the Year Activities and Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Addition Games
- Dinosaur Theme Kindergaten Math Worksheets, free What Comes Next Kindergarten Math, and Ice Cream Math Worksheets and sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Hoppy Frog Math Game and goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Blowing Bubble Math Worksheets and smores Free Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Estimation for Kindergarten Activity and snowball Sorting Odd and Even Math Activities plus bug Measuring Kindergarten Worksheets and Roll to 100 Counting Game
- Flower Shape Kindergarten Math Crafts and color and learn with these Ordinal Number Worksheets and spring Kite Skip Counting Craft and pirate I Spy Worksheets
- Free Number Recognition Worksheets for Kindergarten and simple addition worksheets
- Engaging, Reusable Kindergarten Math Worksheets pdf and Graphing Worksheets for Kindergarten