Few children’s books are as universally loved and known as those by Dr. Seuss. As the mom of some very picky eaters, Green Eggs and Ham is one of our family favorites! The rhythmic story amuses children while lending itself perfectly to early reading practice. Keep reading to check out the fun memory game the story inspired!
FUN Book Based Activities
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin Math
- I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow Sequencing
- Hank Finds an Egg Math
- Thanksgiving Story & Writing Prompt
- Night Before Christmas 100s Chart Coloring
- Fall Leaf Story Time with Shapes Activity
- Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
- Cat in the Hat Math
Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
Green Eggs and Ham is one of Dr. Seuss’ most famous picture books. It’s a lyrical, rhyming story about a quirky character named Sam I Am. Sam I Am spends the story trying to entice a picky eater into trying some of his green eggs and ham.
The grumpy character insists he does not like green eggs and ham, no matter what circumstances Sam I AM offers them under. Eventually, the gloomy guy is so worn down, he agrees to try the green goodies, if Sam I Am will just give him some peace. The story is written in Dr. Seuss’ classic sing-song, lyrical rhymes.
Kids will love the rhythm of the story. Awareness of rhymes is a crucial skill for pre- and early readers, making this a perfect choice for read alouds. The rhyming pattern allows even the youngest audience to offer guesses at the next word, helping them gain confidence.
Green Eggs and Ham is a perfect choice for young picky eaters as well. The main characters may seem just as stubborn in their refusal to try something new as your own kids. Ultimately, it’s encouraging to see the gloomy man try – and even really like – a new meal. Who knows?! It may just inspire your own kiddos to open up and try something new as well!
Green Eggs and Ham Rhyming Memory Game
After reading Green Eggs and Ham together, you and your kids will no doubt be in a rhyming mood! Take advantage of that enthusiasm by playing this fun rhyming memory game together.
- Free printable Green Eggs and Ham memory card pages.
- Glue or tape.
- Optional: laminating pouches, for sturdier playing cards.
- Print out the free memory card pages.
- Use scissors to cut out the word cards, as well as the eggs and ham cards.
- Next use glue or tape to attach a ham or egg card to the back of each word card.
- There should be 1 egg card and 1 ham card for each rhyming match.
- Spread the rhyming cards out, ham or egg sides up, so the words are hidden.
- Players take turns choosing 1 ham card and 1 egg card, reading the word on each after choosing.
- If the words are a rhyming pair, the player keeps the cards and takes another turn.
- When the words are not a rhyming pair, replace the cards ham or egg side up. The next player takes a turn.
- The player with the most rhyming pairs at the end of the game is the winner!
Download Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!