You can teach kindergarten kids to skip count to 20 in a concrete way they can understand in this super-simple Craft Stick Skip Counting Activity!
FUN Math Activities for Kids
- Free Groundhog Day Shape Activity
- Printable Groundhog Day Count to 100
- Coin Sorting Mats
- Cookie Jar Story Time: Counting
- Where in the World Skip Counting Puzzles
- 2D Shape Printable Pack
Craft Stick Skip Counting Activity
Skip counting is a vital skill that kids need to make addition and subtraction easier and to make multiplication and division a breeze. Even young kids in kindergarten can learn to count to 20 through skip counting with these hands-on counters.
This Craft Stick Skip Counting Activity helps kids visualize the numbers they are “skipping” when they count by 2s, 5s, or 10s. These craft stick bundles help children the somewhat difficult concept of abstract numbers. Kids will love playing and counting with the bundles once they realize they help speed the counting process.
You just need a few things to make these craft stick counters. These simple tools make the perfect addition to hands-on math time and work well in any math learning center.
You’ll need just a few things to make your craft stick skip counters:
Tie the bundles together using the same color for each type of bundle.
Write the number of craft sticks in each bundle with a permanent marker.
Show kids how to practice skip counting to 20 using the craft stick bundles. Show the kids how to they can count each stick individually, or when counted as a bundle, you get to skip numbers and reach your destination number faster.
Let kids explore how each way of counting is the same number of sticks, but getting to there is a little different with each way to skip count.
More FUN Skip Counting Activities
- Skip Counting Posters – great visual!
- Fun Skip Counting Mazes 2s-10s
- Printable Skip Counting Puzzles 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s
- Skip counting beach puzzles
- Self Checking Skip Counting Plates
- Vegetable skip counting puzzles
- Skip Counting Worksheets 2s-10s (getting progressively harder)
- 39 Counting Activities for Kids