This Valentine’s Day, mix the Febraury season with a fun valentines day science that even kindergarten kiddos can participate in. Kids will love making these salt crystal hearts where they will make salt crystal hearts using table salt! There are so many fun things to learn with this hands-on valentine science experiments. Try making hearts of various sizes and see which one makes the biggest crystals. This valentine activities for preschoolers is the perfect addition to a Valentines Day theme!
Salt crystal hearts
Kids are going to love this fun Valentines Day science experiment where they will turn ordinary table salt into stunningly beautiful heart crystals. This salt crystal hearts is such an epic valentines day science project for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students! We made heart crystals to make it valentines day themed, but you could do this salt crystal project with any shape or color that you like. I love getting kids excited about learning and exploring and this valentine’s day science experiments is a great way to accomplish that. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this valentine’s day science activities.
Valentines day salt crystal science experiment
To make this fun project all you need are a few simple supplies you probabaly already have on hand in your home plus our simple instrutions for how to make salt crystals.
- Pipe cleaners
- Pencils (1 per jar)
NOTE: Since this project requires boiling water, it should not be done by children alone. Adult supervision is recommended for this activity.
Valentines day science
To make this beautiful Valentines Day Science Experiment you will need to fill your mason jar with water, then pour that water into a small sauce pan on the stove. Heat to boiling, then add salt until crystals start to form on the surface of the water. Remove from heat.
Pour the hot water into the jars. Take two pipe cleaners and twist them together. Form the pipe cleaners into a heart shape. Use a small piece of pipe cleaner to attach the center of the heart to the pencil. This will keep it suspended in the water. Wait 24 to 48 hours for the salt crystals to form. The longer you wait, the bigger the crystals will get. Place the crystals on a paper towel to dry.
Valentine science experiments
Once dry, use a magnifying glass to inspect the crystals. What shape are they? Once finished with your valentine activities for preschoolers, you can hang the crystals in the classroom or at home for a fun Valentine’s Day decoration!
Salt Crystal Scientific Explanation
This experiment teaches children about solutions, evaporation, ionic bonds, and dissolving solids. Kids will be begging to learn more about these concepts when they are done with their crystal hearts.
Valentines Day Activities for Kindergartners
- Practice counting to 20 and tracing numbers as you prepare the mail in this Valentines Day Math
- Count and Trace Valentines Day Worksheets with conversation hearts
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets with alphabet candy in the cookie jars
- Valentine’s Day ABC Hole PunchingActivity – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Valentines Day I Spy Printable – this is a fun valentiens day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Color by Hundreds Chart Valentines Day Worksheets
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- Sneak in some fun writing practice with these Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Our kids favorite tradition! Print out these Valentines Day Printables and leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Valentiens Day Symmetry for Kids – kids will have fun learning about symmetry with these drawing prompts.
- ABC Valentines Day Worksheets – kids will have fun learning new vocabulary and practicing tracing upper and lowercase letters as they make their very own alphabet book.
- Valentines Day Color by Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Valentine’s Day Math Craft – students will have fun practicing addition and subtraction within 10 while making this super cute cut and paste math craft
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Snap Cube Valentines Day Worksheets – with two levels of difficulty these cards help kids practice using logic and spatial reasoning
- Dancing Hearts Science Experiment is a fun and simple science experiment that will delight kids of all ages!
- Roses are Red Poem Rhyming Puzzles – Valentines rhymes for kids
- Valentines Alphabet Activity – students will have fun getting valentines ready to “mail” while matching upper and lowercase letters while working on phonemic awareness and beginning sounds.
- Super cute Valentines Day Activity sorting mail by parts of speach!
- Practice spelling with this fun, engaging and FREE Printable Valentine’s Day Spelling Activity
- A-Z Valentine’s Day Worksheets is fun for kids to practice making capital letters using conversation hearts!
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- CVC Words Valentines Day Worksheets– students will have fun practicing the sounds letters make while building CVC words with alphabet conversation hearts
- Chocolate Shape Valentine Playdough Mats – kids will have fun practicing forming shapes with these chocolate shape playdough mats.
- Lock and Key valentine matching game printable – kids will have fun working on color recognition with this fun, Valentine’s Day matching game
- Alphabet Valentines Day Worksheets – with a free printable alphabet worksheet for each letter from A to Z, help kids work on letter recognition while decorating these heart cookies
- Practice a variety of math and literacy skills with these Free Valentine’s Day Worksheets!
- Love Potion – Valentines Day Science
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Valentine Cards
- Conversation Heart Ooblek – FUN Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Salt Painting Valentines Day Activity
- EASY Skittles Valentines Day Science Activities
- Happy Slime-tines – Free Printable Valentines Day Cards
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Practice shapes with this hands-on Valentines Day STEM Activities
- Fizzy Heart Science Project – Valentines Day Activities for Kids
- Add some Valentines Day Science with this super cool and EASY Dancing Hearts Experiment
- Try these FUN Valentine Science Experiments for kids of all ages
- Salt crystal hearts Science Experiment perfect for February
- Plus don’t miss these fun Valentines Books to cuddle up and read this February
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- Fingerprint Hearth Tree Valentines Day Craft is super cute and such a precious keepsake craft
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Red Hot Valentines Slime is so pretty and fun to play with!
- Try this EASY Chocolate playdough recipe to make your creations look like valentines day candy!
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- Super cute Heart Mobile Valentines Day Craft for Preschoolers
- Cactus valentine craft – this is such a fun cut and paste Valentines Day Craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Don’t miss these fun February activities for kids
Science Projects for Kindergartners
- Water Balloon Science Experiment
- Salt Crystal Hearts
- Egg Density Experiment
- How to make Frost in a can Science Experiment
- Free Animal Habitats sticker Worksheets
- Flower Science Experiment
- Month-by-Month Science Experiments for Kids
- Colorful Oil & Water Science Experiment
- Candy Science with pretty skittles, lollipops, m & m’s and more!
- Red white and blue science experiments
- Why Does it Float? (Density for Kids)
- EASY Air Pressure Experiments with an Egg for Kindergartens
- Fizzing Christmas Ornament Christmas science experiments
- Free animal habitats kindergarten worksheets with stickers!
- Christmas Magic Milk Science Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- EASY! Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Are permanent markers permanent? Paper Chromatography experiment
- Simple Bending Water Experiment
- You MUST try this pretty, impressive Glitter Volcano science project