Make learning about the Ant Life Cycle for kids fun with this simple life cycle activity! These ant life cycle worksheet are handy for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. Simply download pdf file with free ant worksheets printables and you are ready for some fun summer science.
Ant Life Cycle for Kids
As the warmer months hit kids will be playing outside more and observing nature around them. Children who love playing in the dirt are sure to notice plenty of ant hills. Life cycles can be fascinating for children to grasp as they are foreign to them and often happen relatively quickly. A fun summer science lesson is teaching your children about the ants life cycle for kids. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these FREE printable, no prep, ant life cycle worksheets you can use to teach children about the life cycle of ants. These free ant worksheets printables are great for summer learning, science centers, extra practice, or as enrichment working with any curriculum. Use this ant worksheet with preschoolers, kindergarteners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students.
Ant life cycle worksheet
Life Cycle of an Ant
A basic life cycle of a ant consists of four phases.
- Egg: Ant eggs are oval shaped. Fertilized eggs produce female ants and unfertilized eggs produce male ants.
- Larva: These are worm like and have no eyes or legs. They eat food that adult ants regurgitate. Larva will molt many times while increasing in size.
- Pupa: Once the larva reaches a particular size it will form a cocoon which is like silk around itself. It is during this time that the pupa will transform into an ant.
- Ant: An ant emerges from the cocoon. The process can take 10 weeks. Share with your children that black ant queens can live 15 years while worker ants can live up to 5 years. There is a species of ants that can live up to 3o years. Ants have the longest lifespan of all insects.
Free ant worksheets printables
Print the black and white pages in this free ant worksheets printables on plain printer paper.
- life cycle of an ant worksheet (freebie)
- stick glue, white elemer’s glue, or tape
- crayons, markers, colored pencil, gel pens, etc.
- ant hill (optional, but a great way to witness the life cycle first hand)
- books about ants (optional, but great for rounding out your ant unit – see above)
Life cycle of an ant for kids
Since the weather is warmer out it is a great time for children to observe ants firsthand. The worksheets will help your child understand the life cycle of an ant.
- The first page allows your child to cut and paste and display the life cycle.
- The second page can be cut out and used as ant life cycle flash cards or a ant mini book to remind your child of the life cycle of the ant.
For more fun facts about ants watch this National Geographic ANTS slideshow, watch this video on Fire Ants by National Geographic, or take a trip the library. You and your children will be amazing how much there is to know about these tiny insects.
Life Cycle Printables
Looking for more free printables to help you learn about life cycles? You will love these resources:
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Plant Life Cycles Printable Emergent Reader and Worksheets
- Pumpkin life cycle worksheet – lots of fun activities for learning about pumpkin life cycle
- Apple life cycle printable plus worksheets for working on early literacy and math too
- Life cycle of a sunflower worksheet – fun sunflower life cycle printables
- Penguin life cycle worksheet – is a perfect addition to you winter theme!
- Turkey life cycle – is fun to learn about around Thanksgiving
- Spider life cycle worksheet is a fun way to learn about the life cycle of spiders with an insect theme or during Octoboer
- Apple Life Cycle Lapbook, Pumpkin life Cycle Lapbook, or Strawberry Life Cycle Printables
- Ladybug life cycle worksheet pages perfect for spring and summer
- Chicken Hatching eggs in the classroom worksheets
- Learn about the Life Cycle of Frogs for kids and grab the life-cycle wheel
- Life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Plant life cycle worksheet or this Plant Life Cycle Printable Lift-the-Flap
- Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet pack with not only life cycle of salmon, but math and literacy activities too
- Hatching Butterflies with Life cycle of a butterfly worksheet
- Sea Turtle Printable Books to learn about their life cycles
- Learn math and literacy along with these Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheets
- Watermelon Life Cycle Printable Spinner
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
I can;t wait to use the ant lifecycle in STEAM class.