Help kids work on phonemic awareness as they practice listening for beginning sounds with this fun, hands-on Fish kindergarten phonics activities. This phonics activity is also perfect for preschool, pre k, and first grade students. Children will love the super cute fish theme and sorting the fish into alphabet fish bowls based on the beginning sound of the clipart image on the fish.
phonics for kindergarten worksheets
This free printable phonics game is a great way for preschoolers, kindergarteners, and grade 1 students to practice listening for the sounds letters make. For this kindergarten phonics activity simply sort the super cute fish by the beginning sound of the picture on each of them into the correct aquarium bowls A-Z.
Whether you are a parents, teacher, or homeschooler – this hands-on phonics activity is a fun, engaging way for students to practice phonemic awareness! Use this in a fish them, f is for fish letter of the week program, as extra practice, summer learning, literacy center in your classroom, or a supplement to your homeschool language arts curriculum.
phonics fishing game
I suggest printing this kindergarten phonics activities in color and on cardstock or laminating for durability. This super cute free printable fish activity is great to help children practice beginning sounds with a hands-on educational activity.
phonics kindergarten worksheets
Next, carefully use scissors to cut out apart the fish bowls and fish. There are 4 bowls per page and a fish bowl for every alphabet letter from A to Z. There are two fish for students to place in each bowl.
phonics activities for preschoolers
You can give kids all the bowls at one time, a couple at a time. Students will say the name of the clipart pictured on the fish. They will listen for the beginning sound (great phonemic awareness practice) and then place the fish in the bowl featuring the letter that makes the sound they heard. In the example above the blue fan fish and the brown football fish have been put in the letter f bowl. The student will now put the blue house fish in the letter h bowl.
Beginning Sounds Activities
If you are looking for more initial sound activities, you will love these free printable ideas:
- Super cute, Free Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets using Do a Dot Markers
- Adorable Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Build a Flower Beginning Sounds Activity
- Phonics Buses Beginning Sounds Match
- Clever Letter Sound Matching Game
- Fun Fish Phonics Activities Kindergarten
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Pumpkin Phonics Games for Kindergarten
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Cute Easter Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Kite Phonics Craft
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets (write missing letter and cut and paste)
- Clip Cards for working on Initial Sounds Activities
- Free Beginning Sounds Game with magnetic letters
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets For Kindergarten and First Grade
Plus, don’t miss our most popular alphabet printables including our: Alphabet Coloring Pages, Alphabet Worksheets, Alphabet Printable Hats, Alphabet Playdough Mats,Alphabet Do a Dot Printables, Fruit Loop Alphabet Printable Snack Mats, and printable alphabet crafts.
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Printable
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Simple Under the Sea Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching Ganes
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Breeding Guppies – an outrageously FUN Fish Science Experiments
- Read and Dab Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets pdf
- Ocean Animal Counting and Trace Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Go Fish Game
- Color Matching Octopus Activity for kids
- Cute Hands & Feet Lobster Craft
- Shell Letter Matching Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- Sharks for Kids Reader
- Sea Turtles for Kids Reader
- Free Printable Whale Writing Prompts
- All About Fish Printable Reader
- Ocean Counting Clip Cards
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Cute One Fish Two Fish Pdf
- Ocean Printable Multiplication Game
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Cut and Paste Fish Craft
- Printable Crab Contraction Ocean Activity for Kids
- Kid favorite Goldfish Printable Counting Activity
- Goldfish Subtraction Games for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Sandcastle Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- Discover All About Whales Worksheets pdf
- All About Pinnipeds – seals, sea lions, walrus life cycle, and more
- Learn About Herps – sea turtle worksheets, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander, and more!
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays
- Get to know Mollusks, Cephalopods, & Crustaceans for Kids (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms and Cnidarians (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
- Huge Ocean Animals for Kids Unit (250+ pages)
printable phonics activities
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Thank Thank you for all of the Freebies and awesome printables! They are just perfect for stations, table time, and anytime!!