Counting games are a great way to teach young learners about numbers. They’re fun and engaging for all ages, but young children really enjoy them. We’ve compiled 15 games your kindergarten students will love playing. They are designed to help your kids practice counting from 1-20. Playing these kindergarten counting games will not only give them practice in counting, but also help them develop strong number sense. Simply print number games for kindergaten and you are ready to play wile learning numbers for kindergarten.
Kindergarten Counting Games
Who doesn’t love a good counting game? Counting games are a great way to teach young learners about numbers. They’re fun and engaging for all ages, but young children particularly enjoy them. We’ve compiled 15 games your kindergarten students will love playing. They are designed to help your students practice counting 1-20. Playing these games will not only give them practice in counting, but also help them develop strong number sense.
When you can count, you will know what number comes next in any given sequence. It sounds pretty easy. But those of us who teach young children, know that it can be anything but simple. It takes a lot of practice to develop this important skill. Counting games are a great way to practice. Children love playing games, so why not take advantage of this?
They will have so much fun; they won’t even know they are learning! More importantly, games will help your students experience numbers. This is foundational to developing a strong number sense. Something that will help them as they move on to more complicated math concepts. Click here to learn more about number sense and why it is important.
Counting Around the Circle (3 Variations)
- Sit in a circle. Count around the circle from 1 to 20 – each student saying the next consecutive number. Once your students have got the hang of it, introduce some variations. Instead of counting around the circle, roll a soft ball back and forth. Whoever gets the ball, says the next number.
- Start counting from different numbers. Make a set of number cards from 1-9. Shuffle them and invite a student to take turns drawing one. Start counting forward from that number.
- Stand up and count around the circle. The person that says 20 must sit down. Keep going until you only have 1 player left. Alternatively, ask everyone to jump and clap when you get to 20.
4. Make a group
Get ready for a lot of giggles. This is the perfect game as it gets children up and moving. Play some music and invite children to move around your space. Stop the music and yell out a number between 2 and 20. Chaos and counting will ensue as students get into groups of that number. Any students who do not get into a group help you pick the next number.
5. Number Jumps
Grab some number flashcards (1-20). Shuffle and place them face down in the middle of the circle. Pick a child to turn over the first card and read the number aloud. They must then do that number of jumps. Ask the rest of the class to count along and clap every time the jumper’s feet hit the floor.
6. Let’s Get Marching
Stand in a circle and march on the spot while you count from 1-20. As your class progresses you can count backwards from 20 or count on from a chosen number. It gets children moving and for reason they really enjoy doing this. Make it even more fun by inviting students to choose different movements instead of marching. Can you hop, stamp, jump? Just keep counting.
Number games for kindergarten
We’ve gathered together a collection of FREE games that will be perfect for small groups, math centers, or early finishers. You could even send the links home to parents and suggest they print the games and get in a little extra counting practice.
7. Monster Race: A Free Printable Game to Practice Counting 1-20
We’ve created a fun counting game that is very easy to set up and play. It will help your students with basic skills like counting from 1-20 and number recognition. The game boards are available in color or black-and-white versions, so you can choose based on what printer you have
Learning numbers for kindergarten
- The game pdf (see below)
- Game spinner
- Small counters in different colors
- Laminator (optional)
- Print game board, spinner, and word cards on cardstock
- Laminate for durability if you wish
- Cut out word cards
- Punch a hole in the middle of the game spinner and assemble the spinner parts.
NOTE If you don’t have a game spinner, you can use a brad, and a paperclip. This video shows you how to assemble the spinner.
Counting games for kindergarten
- Give each player a set of colored game markers (you will need 20)
- Each player in turn spins the arrow or paperclip and places the corresponding number of markers on their 20 frame.
- Plates continue taking turns and work to fill up all the squares on their 20 frame. After each turn, the players can count to the total number of counters they have on their frame. They can also count the blank spaces. This helps practice counting, but also starts building a foundation for addition and subtraction later on.
- The first player to fill all the blank squares wins the game.
Kindergarten math games
Need More Games and Activities to Practice Counting? Try these
Looking for fun counting to twenty activities to get kindergartners to learn teen numbers? These number mats are perfect! In this number activity, kindergarteners will work on counting on a 20 frame, reading numbers, and numerals. The numbers 11-20 are included in this activity.
Learning how to count has never been so much fun! This apple counting mat invites children to practice counting 1-20 seeds. It is a great way to explore number lines, adding on and counting. Strengthening your student’s understanding of numbers with this game. Just print and play.
Ok this is not strictly counting, but it was too cute to miss! This hands-on Star Wars Math activity is a fun way to practice addition and subtraction to 20. Use it for Star Wars Day on May the 4th or anytime of the year. Who doesn’t love Star Wars?! It is designed for use with kindergarten and grade 1 students.
11. Catch 20 Bugs
Counting to 20 can be a daunting task for Beginners. Yet, with the right math tools — like this bug counting game — you’re guaranteed to have success! In this game, children will practice adding on, taking away and counting. Simply print out the pdf file and make learning fun!
Want to sneak in some summer learning for kids? We’ve got a fun activity to help them practice counting 1-20. All you need are “pompom beach balls”, and a dry erase marker! Print out the summery printable and get ready to start counting.
Celebrate spring with this super cute counting game for 1-20. This number recognition game is a great way to practice your numbers and have fun. Featuring a printable board game filled with pretty flowers and happy bunny rabbits. While the board has a definite spring feel, this game can be played year-round. Just print
Make counting to 20 fun by putting cherries on ice cream? Come take a peek at this fun printable! This is a hands-on, kid-friendly ice cream printable to help practice counting from 1 to 20. Simply print the pdf file and you will be ready to play and learn.
15. Monster Counting
Kids love friendly monsters and will have loads of fun adding eyes to our free printable monster counting mats. This activity is an engaging way to help kids practice counting 1- 20. Grab the count mat and a pack of googly eyes and you are ready to play and count!
Free educational games for kindergarten
We hope you find these games helpful and that they will help your students practice counting. Our games will give lots of practice counting from 1-20. And they will also make the lessons fun and engaging for everyone involved. The wide assortment of games means lots of variety, so no-one should get bored!! Print some of our freebies today, so you can try them with your students. What is the one game on our list that sounds like it would be interesting to try?
Counting Activities 0-10
If you are looking for some more fun, engaging, hands-on, and free printable counting activities for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners – check out these great resources!
- 5 Little Monkeys Printable counting activity 1-5
- Counting Farm Animals – numbers 1 to 5
- Counting Umbrella Craft Preschool
- Tracing Numbers 1-20 printable free
- Barnyard Counting Clip Card (Counting 1-10)
- Caterpillar Numbers 1-10 Printable book to count, color, and trace
- Super cute, Free Playdough Number Mats
- Apple Count to 20 Activity with Hole Punch
- Fingerprint Activity Worksheet
- Vegetables Counting From 1 to 10 clip cards (plus number words recognition too)
- Zoo Animals Counting Worksheet
- Firefly Free Printable Counting Worksheets
- Counting Apple Playdough Mats with ten frame (or this free printable apple counting book)
- Bowling Counting Activities for Preschoolers
- Sandcastle Number Tracing printable for kids
- Firefly Printable Math Game
- Camping math activities for preschoolers
- SUPER cute Spider math activities for preschoolers with Playdough Mats
- Butterfly Ten Frame math activities for preschool or these butterfly math worksheets
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Flashcards
- Donut Printables Counting Playdough Mats (number names)
- Free Printable Numbers 1-10 for Preschoolers (use with playdough, lego, stickers, etc.)
- Plant a Number Line to 10 or practice counting with these bug worksheets preschool
- Fall Worksheets to work on counting with toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten
- Counting Wheels 0-10 – Counting Activity Preschool
- Sunflower Sunflower seed counting activity (counting to 10)
- Ice Cream Counting Printable Scooping Numbers 1-10
- Lemonade Stand ten frame math worksheets with playdough or this ladybug counting activity
- Turkey Candy Corn Counting Worksheets (numbers 1-10)
- Pizza Counting Game or this Monster Teeth Playdough Mats
- FUN Goldfish Printable Counting Cards (1-12 Counting Goldfish Activity)
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Counting Games for Preschoolers
Counting Activities 1-20
- Flower Tracing Numbers 1-10 pdf
- Lego Numbers Printables – brick duplo mats to count and trace
- Farm bingo dauber number worksheets
- Star Wars Number Tracing or this Ice Cream Sundae Count
- Counting Animals Worksheet 1-10
- Sandcastle Subtraction Math Craft
- Hotdogs Number Words Activity
- Count to 10 Free Dauber Printables
- Watermelon Printable Counting Activity
- Counting Snowman Printables
- Printable Teen Number Games
- Counting Bugs 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- 1:1 Correspondence Pom Pom Counting Activity
- Bird One to One Correspondence Activity with free printable and jelly beans
- Counting Spaghetti and Meatballs Game
- Penguin Counting Worksheet
- Flower counting activity for preschool with circle stickers
- Free Watermelon Seed Counting Activity (Numbers 1-15)
- Counting practice with Strawberry activities for toddlers
- Monster Counting googly eyes printable (0-20)
- Cute Dump Truck Counting Mat (1-20)
- Flip-Flip Counting to 20 printable activity with stickers
- Corn-on-the-Cob Count to 20 Activity or these Count to 20 Fruit Clip Cards
- Pool Numbers Counting 1 to 20
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Game
- Kindergarten Teen Numbers Worksheets 11-20
- Summer Count to 20 Playdough Maths Activities (spring playdough mats)
- Handy Free Printable Number Puzzles 1-20
- Pearl Counting to 20 Worksheets
- Free Counting games for kindergarten 1-20
- Counting to 10 Little bo peep activities for preschool
- Monster Counting Games for Kindergarten 1-20
- Rocketship Number Recognition 11-20 Games
- Numbers 1 to 20 Worksheets (or if you are in fall try these numbers 11 to 20 worksheets)
- Pirate Numbers 11-20 Worksheets pdf
Counting Activities 1-100
- Gumball Counting Activity with free printable template (1-30)
- Free Number Train Printable – practice counting to 20, 1-100, or skip counting
- Bugs Counting to 30 Activities
- Safari Count to 30 Game
- Around the World Puzzles – Counting to 50 Activities
- Spring Math Activities for Preschoolers (counting to 30)
- Bee 1 to 50 Counting Game
- Zoo Animals Printable Number Sense Activity
- Roll to 100 free printable
- Construction Number Recognition Games 1-100
- Hands-on, free printable Domino math games kindergarten
- Flower Spring Number Puzzles
- Free printable Counting to 100 games
- Missing Number Worksheets 1-100
- Around the World Count to 100 Puzzles
You may also enjoy these other great activities:
- Star Wars Number Tracing 0-20
- Farm Number Words Worksheets
- Number Worksheets 1-10
- Free Number Coloring Pages 1-10
- Zoo Animals Color by Number Worksheets
- Pirate Color by Number Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Tracing Worksheets
- Princess Color by Number Worksheets
- Free Alice in Wonderland Color by Number
- Belle Color by Number Worksheets
- Number Writing Practice 1-20
- School Supply Number Worksheets 1-10
- 100 FUN and Free Printable Number Sense Activities and Games
Free Counting Games
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Counting to 20 game <<