Looking for a fun way to help your kindergartner improve their reading? You will love this hands on, free printable, Dino Sight Words Activity!
Sight Words Activity
Young children learn to read in a variety of ways. One of these ways are learning through repetition. Simply repeating or repeatedly saying/reading the words(rote learning) are not much fun so why not make a game out of it like this high frequency words Dinosaur Find & Cover game!
High frequency words, or sight words, are those words that are hard to break up into sounds using phonemic knowledge. These words are usually learned by repeated or rote reading. It then gets “stuck” in one’s head like my son describes it, lol! The key to making it stick is to play fun games to repeatedly see and read the words without even knowing you are doing it!
High Frequency Words
This hands on sight words practice is great for improving fluency with high frequency words such as: all, and, at, away, book, but, can, cat, come, day, did, dog, down, father, from, good, have, here, home, into, jump, just, me, over, play, said, school, some, that, they, the, this, up, under, was, went, when, will, with, and you.
Kindergarten Sight Words Games
For individual use: Use all the words cards and both mats. Simply read a word on a card, find the word on the dinosaur mat and cover it with a dinosaur or pompom. Read all the words and cover all the dinosaurs. See how fast you can do it too by using a timer! (Some children might love this challenge, others not as much.)
Playing with a friend: Each person gets a dinosaur mat. The word cards are placed facedown between the two mats like a deck of cards. Take turns to take a card, read it and see if that word is on your dinosaur mat. If it is, cover the word, if not, leave the card to the side. Only one person reads the word and cover it. The players who covers all of his/her words first wins!
Such a simple, but fun way to practice reading those high frequency words with this dinosaur find and cover activity!
Sight Words Printables
Looking for more free printable sight words games? You will love these resources:
- Chocolate Box Sight Words Activity
- Construction Sight Words Game
- Little Mermaid Color by Sight Words
- Rapunzel Sight Words Coloring
- Christmas Sight Words Activity
- Farm Kindergarten Sight Words Game
- Train Sight Words Game
- Crazy Roads Printable Sight Word Game
- Flower Sight Word Maze
- Spring Flower Sight Words Game
- Cut & Paste Sight Word Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Sight Words Game
Here are even more dinosaur activities to help make learning fun for kids of all ages:
- Dinosaur Addition with Ten Frame
- D is for Dinosaur tons of clever ideas including pasta dinosaur fossils!
- Dinosaur Unit for Elementary Age Kids
- Fun Dinosaur Theme
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Free Dinosaur Printables
- Dinosaur Activity Eruptions
- Number Recognition Dinosaur Game
- Dinosaur Themed Worksheets
- Free Dinosaur Math Worksheets
- Dinosaur Color by Number Worksheets
Dino Sight Words Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!