Kids will be excited to learn and explore when making this ice cream volcano! This is a combination of an ice cream activity and easy volcano experiments for one EPIC, memorable summer activity for kids! Try this summer experiment as part of your ice cream theme with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders. This project causes a super cool, baking soda and vinegar reaction that will create a fun WOW moment for kids!
Ice Cream Volcano
Looking for a fun, clever, and unique ice cream activity that is also educational? Create a foaming, oozing ice cream volcano with a few simple ingredients – you may even have all the ingredients already in your kitchen! You will love this easy science experiment perfect for a summer bucket list idea or as part of an ice cream lesson. This summer science includes the ice cream activities plus science and a volcano experiment explanation to make kids have fun and learn during the summer months. Seriously, this is too cute!
Ice Cream Activity
All you need to try this fun ice cream experiment for kids are a few simple materials you probabaly already have at home!
- ice cream cone – I think the pointy sugar cones look the best
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- empty plastic bottle
- food coloring
- 1 teaspoon rapid yeast
- squirt of dish soap
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide 6% or higher solution
- sprinkles, chocolate chips – optional, for look only
- baking dish – to contain the experiment
Start by carefully cutting off the bottom pointy part of your ice cream sugar cone. If you are using a flat bottom cake cone just poke a large 2″ hole. You want to keep the hole semi-small to force the erruption to go up and out your ice cream cone volcano.
Summer Science Experiments
We used an empty water bottle, but you can use any personal size plastic bottle. Fill the bottle with 2 Tab. warm water, food coloring to make the ice cream flavor of your choice , and 1 tsp. rapid rise yeast. Put lid on and shake to mix. Now open the bottle back up and add a squirt of dish soap. Now pour in 1/2 cup 6% hydrogen peroxide (it must be at least 6% to make the chemical reaction occur).
Quickly top upside down ice cream cone. The volcano experiment for kids will begin errupting quickly. Here you can see the beginning of the mint chip ice cream peaking out ver the cone volcano.
Ice Cream Theme
It will make a volcano that fizzes and erupts. See how thick, foamy, and fizzy the ice cream lava is flowing down the summer volcano.
Easy volcano experiments
We tossed in some chocolate sprinkles for added efect. Remember, this is not an edible volcano experiment! But they added to the cool ice cream theme activity and it was fun to watch them get swept up in the moving erruption and flow down the mountain and base.
Baking soda and vinegar reaction
The cake coke works, but in my opinion it doesn’t look quite as cool. But use whateve ryou have on hand!
Hydrogen Peroxide Volcano
My kids had so much fun with this summer science project they wanted to do lots of variations! Here is our blue birthday cake ice cream volcano erruption. Here The sprinkles were not only fun to watch ooze down the blue lava, but it was fun to watch the colors bleed into the foam for swirls of pretty color.
This is truly an EPIC summer experiment your kids will remember for year and years to come! The erruptions really do look like ice cream (again not consumable) which thrilled my kids. Plus, this is a SUPER easy science experiment that will be ready in 5 minutes flat! I love quick summer activities for kids!
Volcano Experiment Explanation
This volcano uses a slightly different mixture to make the volcano errupt. It is sometimes known as elephant toothpaste. Basically, the hydrogen peroxide volcano is a chemistry science experiment that demonstartes how two substances produce a chemical reaction, In this elephant toothpaste experiment the yeast works as a catalyst to speed up the process that happens naturally, just at a slower pace. The hydrogen peroxide naturally breaks down into water and oxygen (2H2O2 –› 2H2O + O2). So what you are actually watching is yeast helping hydrogen perioside to decompose into water and oxygen. WE get the fun bubble action to make the decomposition process more exciting by adding in some dish soap.
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment for kids of all ages
- Ice Cream Volcano – fun ice cream activity for summer!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Simple Newton’s Cradle Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- DIY Water Xylophone Activity – Sound Science Experiment for Kids
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blood for Kids – Activity to learn about the Human Body
- Fun-to-play with Fluffy Slime Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Scented, Watermelon Kool Aid Play Dough Recipe for summer
- Watermelon Volcano Experiment – Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Watermelon Slime Activity for Kids
- Human Heart for Kids: 2 Fun Heart Models plus Worksheets
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- Airplane Pool Noodle Craft
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- Kids will be amazed at the l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes they can make with this easy activity
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- Color-Changing Flowers – Capillary Action Science Experiment
- DIY Water Xylophone Activity – Sound Science Experiment for Kids
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle – exploring magnets with kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Ice Cream Activities
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- Kids will go nuts over this edible ice cream sand castle summer snack for kids
- AMAZING, Edible ice cream play doh recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Color Matching Activity for your Ice Cream Theme
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages pdf
- Fun and EASY How to Make ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet
- 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL and EASY!
- Try our delicious and EASY How to make homemade ice cream
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- EPIC Ice Cream Volcano
- Cute I Spy I spy ice cream
- Ice Cream Handprint Craft for toddler and preschool kids
- Simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Bubble Wrap and Puffy Paint Ice Cream craft
- Ice Cream Name Craft with free printable template
- Simple, free printable Ice Cream Coloring Pages
Ice Cream Printables
- Work on tracing letter with these free Alphabet ice cream handwriting paper
- Delicious Alphabet Ice Cream alphabet printable Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Check out these Alphabet Mats for your Ice Cream Theme
- Free printable Alphabet Popsicles matching capital and lowercase letters nad beginning sounds too
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this fun letter tracing
- Match the upper and lowercase letter puzzles in this free ice cream game
- Kids will love building their ABCs with these popsicle stick letters free template
- Ice Cream Compound Word Puzzles or this other set of ice cream compound words
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this word endings worksheets and activity
- Printable Digraph Activities for first grade scooping Ice Cream
- Cut and paste sentences ice cream worksheets
- Popsicle Rhyme and Dab Summer Literacy Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
Ice Cream Worksheets
- Ice Cream Scoop Pattern Activity
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Worksheets
- Count to 10 free printable ice cream counting printable math craft
- Popsicle counting – free printable number sense puzzles
- Number Popsicles – count to 10 clip cards are a fun
- Scoop pom-pom ice cream and count 1-10 with this ice cream counting printable
- Ice Cream Worksheets Preschool – count and trace to ten
- Count to 20 as you build with your free printable ice cream sundae template
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN ice cream pattern printable and activity for kids
- Hands-on Addition with this Ice Cream Math task cards using playdough!
- Free Printable Ice Cream Playdough Mats to learn shapes
- Popsicle Shape Sorting Printable Free
Ice Cream Math
Looking for more fun ways to learn this summer with popsicle themed activities? You will love these free printables:
- Free Printable Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Practice adding to 1o with this cute Make 10 Ice Cream Cut and Paste Activity
- Popsicle Division Puzzles with printable popsicle puzzles makes practicing math FUN
- Or scoop a sunday with this Place Value Ice Cream for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Free Printable Place Value Ice Cream Cone