Kindergartners will have fun cooking up rhymes with this CVC Word Family activity! Simply print the free printable rhyming worksheets, read, and use dot markers to find the matching rhyming short vowel sound.
CVC Word Family
This fun, educational activity for Kindergarten allows you to practice a variety of skills in one convenient, NO PREP free worksheets!
Students will practicing kindergarten rhyming which is an important early literacy skill. Rhyming teaches children how language works and helps them to begin listening for patterns in words. This is an important pre reading skill for pre k, kindergartners, and first graders.
In addition, this activity helps kids practice cvc words. Teaching CVC words is an integral part of any pre-reading program. CVC words are formed of simple words that are easy to blend the individual letter sounds for those learning to sound out words with phonics.
Finally, this activity uses kindergarten word families to help children read words they will be successful with to encourage them to keep reading and become more fluent. Word families are important because they help young learners recognize and analyze word patterns when they are learning to read.
Short Vowels CVC
Print as many rhyming worksheets as you need for the number of students in your class. The sheets are in black and white to save on printing costs.
These kindergarten worksheets were created to use do a dot markers – also known as bingo markers, dot markers, dot art markers, do a dot, bingo dot markers, dot paint markers, dab and dot markers, do a dot markers or washable dot markers – these kid favorite utensils really have a lot of names, don’t they? If you prefer, these can be completed with crayons, markers, colored pencils, or gel pens. Alternatively, you can laminate the pages (or stick them in a sheet protector) to make them reusable and complete them with dry erase markers or top with a manipulative or playdough ball.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these super cute, clever, and NO PREP rhyming words worksheets. These are a fun learning activity for literacy centers in your classroom, summer learning, extra practice, seat work, busy work, or as a supplement to your current language arts curriculum.
There are 6 pages of rhyming printables containing 12 pots of rhyming words. Students will sound out the word on the soup ladle and then find and dab the other words in the pot that rhyme with the featured word.
- bug rhymes with jug, lug, hug, and tug
- hat rhymes with mat, sat, bat, and pat
- sit rhymes with hit, mit, and lit
- hog rhymes with log, fog, and dog
- cab rhymes with lab, dab, and tab
- bad rhymes with had, dad, lad and mad
- bed rhymes with wed, fed, red, and led
- hen rhymes with den, ten pen, and men
- hip rhymes with lip, dip, zip, and nip
- big rhymes with dig, fig, gig, and wig
- bin rhymes with pin, din, sin, and fin
- cop rhymes with drop, hop, top, and mop
Do a Dot Printables
Kindergarten kids will LOVE this CVC center! We know that with learning, repetition and practice is key. Kids will be motivated to find and use dot markers to identify their CVC words with short vowel sounds using these fun ‘cooking pot’ or ‘soup’ themed cards. Kids choose a card and read the short vowel CVC word on the spoon, they then find and read words on the circles and dab the rhyming words. They continue to do so until they have found all the matches for that card. Encourage them to say the word on the card as they look for the matching words.
CVC words can be difficult for kindergarten kids. Encourage them to work on their reading and rhyming skills with this set of fun cards!
Bingo Marker Printables
Looking for more fun, educational worksheets to teach kids while having fun dabbing with do a dot markers? Try these free resources:
- Alphabet Worksheets using do a dot markers
- Counting on the Farm Do a Dot Printables
- Rainbow Read, Rhyme, and Dab Do a Dot Printables
- Spring Bingo Marker Do a Dot Printables
- Shape Do a Dot Printables
- Counting Do a Dot Printables
- Phonics Beginning Sound Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Find a Letter Do a Dot Printables
- Do a Dot Printables Calendar
- Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Do a Dot Printables
- Apple Find the Letter Do a Dot Printables
- Ending Blends Do a Dot Printables
- Letter Recognition Do a Dot Printables
Looking for more rhyme printables and creative ideas to practice rhyming with your child? Try these:
- Strawberry Picking Rhyming Activity
- Hey Diddle Diddle Rhyming Activity
- Rhyming Match Beehive Jive
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Back to School Rhyming Activity
- Rainbow Rhyming Activity
- Gingerbread Rhyming Activity
Cooking up Rhymes – CVC Word Family Read & Dab
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!