Get ready to make teaching subtraction loads of FUN with this subtraction activity for kindergarten. In this subtraction game for kids children will roll the dice, add playdough balls to their ten frame, roll another dice, and smash the number of playdough balls indicated to get the difference. After preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children ahve done the play dough activity, they will write the equations on the subtration worksheets. Simply print pdf file with subtraction smash and you are ready to play and learn with a playdough activity for kindergarten.
Subtraction Activity for Kindergarten
While adding up numbers seems to come naturaly to preschoolers and kindergartners, the concept of subtracting things doesn’t always come as easily. This hands-on subtraction acivity for kindergarten is a great way for kids to stay engaged and having fun while learning to subtract! In this subtraction smash children will actually subtract from up to 12. There are 2 colorful playdough mats to choose from and a black and white, free subtraction worksheet for children to record their equations and answers. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this subtraction game for kindertners. This playdough activity is fun for at home, math centers in the classroom, summer learning, or homeschool coops.
All you need for this EPIC subtraction activity are a few simple things you probably already have on hand:
- Print the roll and smash subtraction playdough mat template you like best in color and laminate it for durability – their are two choices.
- Playdough (any brand, color will do)
- Crayons, markers, or colored pencils to fill out the math worksheets – use a dry erase marker if you laminate the playdough mat printable to make it reusable
- 2 standard dice
- Black and white subtraction worksheet page
Subtraction games for kids
To start off, roll two dice and write the number you rolled on the quotient line over the yellow playdough can. Now strengthen hand muscles by rolling playdough balls (any colors) and adding the correct number of playdough balls on the 12 frame.
Subtraction within 10
Now roll one dice and write that numeral on the red playdough line. Here comes the fun part. Children get to smash the number of playdough balls they rolled. Finally, have children count the difference (number of playdough still in ball form) and write the number on the blue playdough line.
Play Dough Activity
Here is an example with the other subtraction play doh mat template. The process is the same.
- Roll 2 dice – write number on line and make the correct number of playdough balls
- Roll 1 dice – write number on 2nd line and smash the correct number of playdoh balls
- Count the number of balls remaining and write the answer on the final quotient line
Playdough Activities for Kindergarten
The last step, no matter what printable playdough mat you use is to write the equations on the black and white subtraction printable. This way children can turn in their subtraction worksheet for kindergarten to make sure they got the correct numbers. Plus doing and writing helps kids remember better!
I highly suggest when introducting this actiity to walk them through an equation together to not only understand the process, but to expose them to math vocabulary such as quotient, subtract from, get the difference, etc.
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- Free Christmas Addition worksheets
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Crack the Code Worksheet – Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Printable 1st grade math worksheets – handy no-prep math practice that can be used as mad minutes!
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Turkey Addition Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
- St Patricks Day Addition Practice
- Gingerbread Addition Math Game
- Math Mystery Pack – Solve Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
Looking for more subtraction worksheets and subtraction games to make learning to subtract fun? Check out these subtraction math ideas and free resources:
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- FUN Subtraction BINGO
- Goldfish subtraction games for Kindergarten
- Hungry Unicorn Subtraction – sensory math activities
- Patriotic Subtraction Mats
- Free Valentine’s day subtraction worksheets
- Toy Story Subtraction Flash Cards
- Roll and Smash within 6 (great for strengthening hand muscles) – subtraction activities
- Subtraction Smash – FUN subtraction practice for kindergartners within 10
- Roll & Subtraction Smash printable activity for kids within 12 (with number sense)
- Fill-in-the-Wheel Free Math Subtraction Worksheets
- Fun and FREE Subtraction Worksheets with a deck of cards
- Math Aquarium – Free Subtraction File Folder Game
- Free Printable Subtraction worksheets pdf you turn into a mini book
- Pot of Gold Subtraction Math Craft
- Hibernating Animals Simple Subtraction Worksheets
- Lemon Free Subtraction Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets – Cut and Paste Subtraction Turkeys
- Subtraction Playdough Mats
- Animal Crack the Code Worksheet – simple addition and subtraction
- Back to School Crack the Code Worksheet – simple addition and subtraction
- Christmas Fact Family Math
- Watermelon Fact Family Worksheets
- See even more FREE subtraction games worksheets!
Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Math Mystery subtraction printables
- Solve and Stamp Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Addition and Subtration Games Printable within 5
- Gumball Math Addition and subtraction worksheets
- Fluency within 5 addition and subtraction games
- Subtraction & Addition Candy Corn Math Puzzles
- Hot chocolate math – addition and subtraction fact family worksheets
- Snowman Math – build a snowman by solving addition and subtraction problems
- Christmas Fact Families – addition and subtraction worksheets
- Star Wars Math Activities: Addition and Subtraction to 20
- Butterfly Addition and Subtraction Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Free Summer Math Worksheets
- Math Cootie Catcher – addition, subtraction, numbers, dubbling
- Free Fact Family Worksheets – color or black & white
- Apple Kindergarten Math Worksheets
We have thousands more Free Kindergarten Worksheets and Kindergarten Math Worksheets to make learning fun and easy for kindergartners!
Free Playdough Mats
Looking for more fun, free printable playdough mats? You will love these:
- Interactive Alphabet Playodugh Mats with finish the picture
- Roll & Smash Pre-k Math Playdough Subtraction Activities
- Simple Alphabet Playdough Mats with tracing lines
- Gumball Number Playdough Mats
- Fun Transportation Playdough mats (train, bus, rocket, airplane, boat, and more!)
- Playdough Smash Subtraction Activity for Kindergarten
- Free Shape Playdough Mats
- Preschool Shape Worksheets with playdoh
- Finish the scene Playdough Number Mats (featured above)
- Build a Playdough Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool
- Pet Animal Playdough mats (bird, turtle, fish, bunny, cat, lizzard, dog, snake, etc.)
- Free Printable Emotion Playdough mats
- Thanksgiving Playdough Mats featuring yummy thanksgiving favorite foods!
- Playdough Musical Activities for Kids
- Free Playdough Letter Mats
- Fall Playdough Mats (build a sunflower, leaf, acron, pumpkin, rake, hay, etc)
- Count to 10 Apple Playdough Mats
- FREE Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Spider Math Activities for Preschoolers withPlay dogh
- Free Printable Human Body Playdough Mats
- Telling Time Activity with Playdough
- Grilling on a Ten Frame Summer Printable Playdough Mats
- Roll & Smash Playdough Subtraction Activity for Kindergarten
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Mats
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with playdough
- Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool Counting candles Playdough mats
- Sandcastle Activity Playdough Mat
- Over 100 Playdough Mats to print and play (plus more free printable playdough mats on our sister site)
Playdough Activities for Kids
Looking for some amazing playdough recipes to try? Check out these easy play doh recipes!
- Color Changing Playdough
- Kool Aid Playdough
- Incredible, Edible Ice Cream Play doh
- Quick, Edible Peeps Playdough
- Hot Chocolate playdough
- Easy 2 Ingredient Play Dough Recipe
- Simple Candy Corn Playdough – play and EAT!
- Super Soft Conditioner Playdough
Subtraction Activity for Kids
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
> Subtraction Smash <<