Looking for some fun ways to help students practice addition and subtraction? Students will love these kindergarten addition and subtraction worksheets filled with fun butterfly addition to make learning fun with a butterfly theme for spring! Use these cute butterfly worksheets to work on subtraction for kindergarten and addition for kindergarten with super cute, hands-on practice for Kindergarteners. Simply download pdf file with spring worksheets for kindergarten to play and learn with a butterfly activity for kindergarten.
Kindergarten Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
We are seeing the first signs of spring in our community. I live very far north, so winter is long and by this time of the year we are ready for warmer weather. Finally, the daytime temperatures are climbing above zero, we hear geese honking as they fly north, and the children are splashing in the mud puddles! Spring is a wonderful time of year! We have created a fun butterfly worksheets to celebrate the arrival of longer days and warmer weather. These kindergarten addition and subtraction worksheets are filled with fun spring math to make learning fun with a spring activity for kindergarten.
Our addition and subtraction spring game are designed for use with kindergarteners, but they could be used for older kids in grade 1 or grade 2 who need extra practice as well. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechooler – you will love this kindergarten math which can be used as extra practice, summer learning, math centers or small group work. They could also be sent home with students as a fun game to play with parents. This game is for students who can count groups of objects and have developed an understanding of one-to-one correspondence.
Kindergarten addition and subtraction worksheets
- Addition is a joining or combining process.
- Subtraction involves removing a number from a set
- The minus, plus and equals sign
- How to write number sentences
COMMON CORE STANDARDS COVERED
- Represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings, sounds (e.g., claps), acting out situations, verbal explanations, expressions, or equations.
Solve addition and subtraction word problems, and add and subtract within 10, e.g., by using objects or drawings to represent the problem.
Grab two dice and some small round manipulatives for counting in two colors. You could use buttons, pom poms, or counters.
Spring worksheets for kindergarten
The game is really simple, so students will pick it up quickly.
- Roll 1 dice and put the same number of objects as spots in the first wing.
- Roll 1 dice again and this time put the number rolled of objects on the second wing.
- Pre k, Kindergarten, and first grade students will now add the two numbers by counting the total number of spots on the wings.
- Students will record the number sentence on their free math worksheet
Addition for kindergarten
If students are playing in pairs, they can take turns throwing the dice and adding the spots. Then they can count the total together.
I recommend some instruction if your students are just starting to do addition.
- Demonstrate how to roll the dice, count out the spots and place them on the 1st wing. Show them where to record the number on their worksheet.
- Next ask for a volunteer to roll the dice and place the spots on the 2nd wing. Show them where to record the number on their worksheet.
- Together count the total of spots on the wings and record the total on the worksheet.
- Talk about how you counted the spots from both wings to get the total number on the butterfly. Look at the number sentence on the worksheet and invite the students to read it with you as you point to the numbers and symbols.
Subtraction for kindergarten
- Roll 2 dice and put the same number of items as the dots you rolled on the butterfly’s wings.
- Next roll just 1 dice and remove the number of spots rolled from the wing and set off the butter fly to the side.
- Count the number of spots left.
- Students record the number sentence in their subtraction worksheet
I am a huge fan of hands-on activities like this one to teach number sentences. I love the way the students get to experience that addition is combining groups and subtraction is removing a number from a set.
Addition and Subtraction Activities
Here are a few more addition and subtraction games with a spring theme
- Hibernating Animals Subtraction Within 5 Worksheets
- Spring Numbers to 20 Board Game– Try this fun springtime activity for practicing counting on or addition
- Rainbow Math Game– Rainbows are fun, and this game involves a tasty treat at the end.
- Make 10 Seeds Addition Game– Seeds are prefect for Springtime. Maybe you can plant some when you are done.
- Ladybug Addition Game – Kids love ladybugs and these cute addition cards will be a hit
- Frog Addition Game – kids will have fun adding up frog numbers and matching them with the correct lily pads
- Bubble Kindergarten Math Worksheets – fun, spring themed math practice
- Goldfish Subtraction Practice -This free printable Goldfish Subtraction Game is a fun to practice subtraction and everyone loves goldfish crackers
- Number Bonds to 10 Fishing Math Craft – help kids see the relationship between numbers in addition with this super cute, summer themed kindergarten craft
- Sandcastle Math – super cute math craft for kindergartners to practice subtraction!
Butterfly Activity for Kindergarten
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- Pretty Butterfly Suncatcher Craft w/ free printable template
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Kindergarten Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
- FREE Printable Butterfly Number Sense Activities for kids
Math worksheets for kindergarten addition and subtraction
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!