Looking for some fun ways to help students practice addition and subtraction? Students will love these kindergarten addition and subtraction worksheets filled with fun butterfly addition to make learning fun with a butterfly theme for spring! Use these cute butterfly worksheets to work on subtraction for kindergarten and addition for kindergarten with super cute, hands-on practice for Kindergarteners. Simply print pdf file with spring worksheets for kindergarten to play and learn with a butterfly activity for kindergarten.
Kindergarten Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
We are seeing the first signs of spring in our community. I live very far north, so winter is long and by this time of the year we are ready for warmer weather. Finally, the daytime temperatures are climbing above zero, we hear geese honking as they fly north, and the children are splashing in the mud puddles! Spring is a wonderful time of year! We have created a fun butterfly worksheets to celebrate the arrival of longer days and warmer weather. These kindergarten addition and subtraction worksheets are filled with fun spring math to make learning fun with a spring activity for kindergarten.
Our addition and subtraction spring game are designed for use with kindergarteners, but they could be used for older kids in grade 1 or grade 2 who need extra practice as well. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechooler – you will love this kindergarten math which can be used as extra practice, summer learning, math centers or small group work. They could also be sent home with students as a fun game to play with parents. This game is for students who can count groups of objects and have developed an understanding of one-to-one correspondence.
Kindergarten addition and subtraction worksheets
- Addition is a joining or combining process.
- Subtraction involves removing a number from a set
- The minus, plus and equals sign
- How to write number sentences
COMMON CORE STANDARDS COVERED
- Represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings, sounds (e.g., claps), acting out situations, verbal explanations, expressions, or equations.
Solve addition and subtraction word problems, and add and subtract within 10, e.g., by using objects or drawings to represent the problem.
Print the butterfly mat (in black and white or color) and two kindergarten math worksheets – one for addition and the other for subtraction. You may want to laminate the butterfly mats, so they last longer. Grab two dice and some small round manipulatives for counting in two colors. You could use buttons, pom poms, or counters.
Spring worksheets for kindergarten
The game is really simple, so students will pick it up quickly.
- Roll 1 dice and put the same number of objects as spots in the first wing.
- Roll 1 dice again and this time put the number rolled of objects on the second wing.
- Pre k, Kindergarten, and first grade students will now add the two numbers by counting the total number of spots on the wings.
- Students will record the number sentence on their free math worksheet
Addition for kindergarten
If students are playing in pairs, they can take turns throwing the dice and adding the spots. Then they can count the total together.
I recommend some instruction if your students are just starting to do addition.
- Demonstrate how to roll the dice, count out the spots and place them on the 1st wing. Show them where to record the number on their worksheet.
- Next ask for a volunteer to roll the dice and place the spots on the 2nd wing. Show them where to record the number on their worksheet.
- Together count the total of spots on the wings and record the total on the worksheet.
- Talk about how you counted the spots from both wings to get the total number on the butterfly. Look at the number sentence on the worksheet and invite the students to read it with you as you point to the numbers and symbols.
Subtraction for kindergarten
- Roll 2 dice and put the same number of items as the dots you rolled on the butterfly’s wings.
- Next roll just 1 dice and remove the number of spots rolled from the wing and set off the butter fly to the side.
- Count the number of spots left.
- Students record the number sentence in their subtraction worksheet
I am a huge fan of hands-on activities like this one to teach number sentences. I love the way the students get to experience that addition is combining groups and subtraction is removing a number from a set.
Looking for more subtraction worksheets and subtraction games to make learning to subtract fun? Check out these subtraction math ideas and free resources:
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- FUN Subtraction BINGO
- Goldfish subtraction games for Kindergarten
- Hungry Unicorn Subtraction – sensory math activities
- Patriotic Subtraction Mats
- Free Valentine’s day subtraction worksheets
- Toy Story Subtraction Flash Cards
- Roll and Smash within 6 (great for strengthening hand muscles) – subtraction activities
- Subtraction Smash – FUN subtraction practice for kindergartners within 10
- Roll & Subtraction Smash printable activity for kids within 12 (with number sense)
- Fill-in-the-Wheel Free Math Subtraction Worksheets
- Fun and FREE Subtraction Worksheets with a deck of cards
- Math Aquarium – Free Subtraction File Folder Game
- Free Printable Subtraction worksheets pdf you turn into a mini book
- Pot of Gold Subtraction Math Craft
- Hibernating Animals Simple Subtraction Worksheets
- Lemon Free Subtraction Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets – Cut and Paste Subtraction Turkeys
- Subtraction Playdough Mats
- Animal Crack the Code Worksheet – simple addition and subtraction
- Back to School Crack the Code Worksheet – simple addition and subtraction
- Christmas Fact Family Math
- Watermelon Fact Family Worksheets
- See even more FREE subtraction games worksheets!
Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Math Mystery subtraction printables
- Solve and Stamp Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Addition and Subtration Games Printable within 5
- Gumball Math Addition and subtraction worksheets
- Fluency within 5 addition and subtraction games
- Subtraction & Addition Candy Corn Math Puzzles
- Hot chocolate math – addition and subtraction fact family worksheets
- Snowman Math – build a snowman by solving addition and subtraction problems
- Christmas Fact Families – addition and subtraction worksheets
- Star Wars Math Activities: Addition and Subtraction to 20
- Butterfly Addition and Subtraction Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Free Summer Math Worksheets
- Math Cootie Catcher – addition, subtraction, numbers, dubbling
- Free Fact Family Worksheets – color or black & white
- Apple Kindergarten Math Worksheets
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Number Sense butterfly activities for preschoolers
- Free printable Butterfly missing addend game for Kindergarten
- Count to 10 Butterfly Math Ten Frame Punch Cards
- Butterfly Addition Puzzles
- Kindergarten Butterfly Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
- Free Counting Butterflies Worksheets
- FREE Printable Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheets
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Puzzles Printable Rhyming Games
- Free printable Butterfly Life Cycle Printables
- Try this crafty science project to make stunning chromatography butterflies
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Shaving Cream Butterfly Craft
- Butterfly Life Cycle Crafts w/ Free Printables
- Cute Bowtie Pasta Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Pasta Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Simple Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
- Pasta butterfly craft
Math worksheets for kindergarten addition and subtraction
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!