Hungry Unicorn Math is a fun pre-k, Kindergarten Math activity where kids will practice subtraction in a silly way. This subtraction practice is engaging so students are excited to learn. We’ve found hands-on math activities help kids remember better than simply using unicorn math worksheets.
Looking for a fun way to get kids to work on subtraction skills? These fun, free printable unicorn math themed subtraction cards and sensory bag will have even the most reluctant kids playing and learning with a fun sensory experience! This is such a fun way to make subtraction practice fun for preschoolers and kindergartners.
Unicorn Math worksheets
Kindergarten subtraction games
Print as many copies of the unicorn subtraction mat as you need for the number of students in your class (you could play these in groups). Be sure to laminate the mats and the cards (it’s only 1 full page). Make enough sensory bags for each group.
Prepare and cut up the laminated subtraction equation cards. Place them in a seal-able zip lock bag or use a rubber band to keep these strips together. To create the sensory bag, you will need 2 tablespoons of hair gel and a zip lock bag along with some colorful buttons. Place at least 12 buttons into the sensory bag and then the two tablespoons of hair gel. Close the zip lock bag carefully and then use your fingers to move the hair gel around the bag to cover it. Place the subtraction mat behind the zip lock bag ready for play.
Hands on subtraction activities
Kindergartners will choose a subtraction card and then use their fingers to move the buttons around to show the subtraction equation. For instance, if they pull out the strip ‘4-2=’ then they will move 4 buttons to the box on the left from the top right corner of the bag. They will then move 2 buttons to the unicorn’s mouth. What a great way to learn and understand subtraction!
Unicorn Math Games
This task can easily be differentiated with your learners. So have the younger kids work on identifying numbers and moving buttons to the unicorn to show one-to-one correspondence and more advanced learners working on their subtraction skills.
This activity is hands-on and perfect for kids to use when they need a refresher or some more subtraction games. Kids will love the sensory experience! What a great way to reinforce a love of learning math!
Looking for more subtraction worksheets and subtraction games to make learning to subtract fun? Check out these subtraction math ideas and free resources:
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery Printables
- Subtraction within 5 Printable Board Game
- Fluency within 5 Subtraction Games for Kids
- Patriotic Subtraction Mats
- Subtraction Worksheets you turn into a mini book
- FUN Subtraction BINGO
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets – Cut and Paste Subtraction Turkeys
- Gumball Math – practice adding and subtracting
- Goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Build a Snowman Math Activity
- Candy Corn Subtraction Puzzles
- Subtraction Worksheets with a deck of cards
- Toy Story Subtraction Flash Cards Printable
- See even more FREE subtraction games worksheets!
Is your kid nuts about Unicorns? We have more unicorn theme printables to keep those kids engaged!
- Unicorn B and D Maze Worksheets
- Fluffy Unicorn Slime
- Unicorn Writing Prompts
- Fun Unicorn Short Vowel Activity
Download Hungry Unicorn Math
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!