Learning alphabet sounds is an important part of learning how to read and spell. It can easily become monotonous for kids, unless we make it fun! Using activities like these beginning sound clip cards is an easy way to help encourage children to learn while still having fun with hands on activities. Use these alphabet sound cards with preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students.
Beginning Sound clip cards
This huge pack of beginning sound clip cards contains more than 40 initial sounds clip cards in all. Each one has a different, easily identifiable picture. Under the picture are three options of beginning letters. Kids can say out loud the name of the picture and then work to find the letter that the word starts with. This is fantastic for children who are just learning to sound out and spell words but also great for extra practice for those that may already know how to spell. These alphabet sound cards are perfect for preschoolers, kindergarteners, and grade 1 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these free printable beginning sounds clip cards to work on phonemic awareness, beginning sounds, and getting ready to read! Use this beginning sounds activity as extra practice, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics program.
Initial Sounds Clip Cards
Alphabet sound cards
Prep for this activity is super simple. First thing is to print out each of the sheets. There are 10 pages total. They all have 4 clip cards on each page. Cut each of the cards out. I like to laminate activities such as this to preserve the activity. Not only because kids are kids but because if you are using clothes pins, they will bend the paper easily.
I put the cards in a pile and have my daughter grab one at a time. We have used many different types of manipulatives, not just clothes pins. I created a list below of our favorites. When the child states the word out loud and identifies the beginning sound, the manipulative is placed on the correct letter. This is perfect for individual work, such as a literacy center.
Manipulatives For This Activity
Obviously clothes pins are fantastic for this activity. If you don’t have them or want to use something different, we have also used:
- Pom Poms
- Mini Erasers
- Lego Minifigures
Initial Sounds Activities
These clip cards can be used for more than just kids who are starting to learn beginning sounds. They can continue to use the clip cards in activities that stem with the clip cards but extend past just identifying the beginning sound. After the child identifies the beginning letter, you can have the child write the word out on a recording sheet. The child write other words that start with the same letter. Another idea is for the student to write the word in a sentence.
Beginning Sounds Activities
If you are looking for more initial sound activities, you will love these free printable ideas:
- Super cute, Free Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets using Do a Dot Markers
- Adorable Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Phonics Buses Beginning Sounds Match
- Clever Letter Sound Matching Game
- Fun Fish Phonics Activities Kindergarten
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Pumpkin Phonics Games for Kindergarten
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Cute Easter Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Kite Phonics Craft
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets (write missing letter and cut and paste)
- Clip Cards for working on Initial Sounds Activities
- Free Beginning Sounds Game with magnetic letters
Download Initial Sounds Clip Cards
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!