Hungry Unicorn is a fun, hands-on Kindergarten Math activity where kids will practice subtraction in a silly way.
- Sandcastle Subtraction Math Craft
- Goldfish Subtraction Game
- Subtraction Snowman Activity
- Fun Subtraction BINGO Game
- Printable Subtraction Mini Book
- Candy Corn Subtraction Puzzles
- Gumball Math Worksheets
Looking for a fun way to get kids to work on subtraction skills? These fun unicorn themed subtraction cards and sensory bag will have even the most reluctant kids playing and learning with a fun sensory experience!
Print as many copies of the unicorn subtraction mat as you need for the number of students in your class (you could play these in groups). Be sure to laminate the mats and the cards (it’s only 1 full page). Make enough sensory bags for each group.
Prepare and cut up the laminated subtraction equation cards. Place them in a seal-able zip lock bag or use a rubber band to keep these strips together. To create the sensory bag, you will need 2 tablespoons of hair gel and a zip lock bag along with some colorful buttons. Place at least 12 buttons into the sensory bag and then the two tablespoons of hair gel. Close the zip lock bag carefully and then use your fingers to move the hair gel around the bag to cover it. Place the subtraction mat behind the zip lock bag ready for play.
Kindergartners will choose a subtraction card and then use their fingers to move the buttons around to show the subtraction equation. For instance, if they pull out the strip ‘4-2=’ then they will move 4 buttons to the box on the left from the top right corner of the bag. They will then move 2 buttons to the unicorn’s mouth. What a great way to learn and understand subtraction!
This task can easily be differentiated with your learners. So have the younger kids work on identifying numbers and moving buttons to the unicorn to show one-to-one correspondence and more advanced learners working on their subtraction skills.
This activity is hands-on and perfect for kids to use when they need a refresher or some more subtraction games. Kids will love the sensory expericne! What a great way to reinforce a love of learning math!
Looking for more fun math activities for Kindergartners? Check out these free Printable Calendars to teach kids about the days / months of a year. Practice number recognition with one of our many Free Color by Number Worksheets. Finally, practice addition with these clever,free Hands on Goldfish Addition Cards.
Download Hungry Unicorn Math
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!