Marc Brown’s Arthur series has been a perennial favorite with kids for years. My children enjoy the sweet stories about the lovable anteater, his family, and friends. With November approaching quickly, I knew it was time to plan a Thanksgiving story time. We picked up Arthur’s Thanksgiving recently. The book is the perfect jumping off point for a fun and festive free printable thanksgiving writing prompts. This Arthur’s Thanksgiving activities is perfect for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students for a thanksgiving theme in November!
Thanksgiving writing prompts
Make practicing writing fun in November with this super cute and free Thanksgiving Writing Prompts for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This is fun for a Thanksgiving themed week or Arthur’s Thanksgiving Activities based on a book; we just love book based activities to get kids excited about literature while providing a fun, educational learning activity too!
Arthur’s Thanksgiving is a cute picture book chronicling Arthur’s adventures as he directs the class Thanksgiving play. Brown’s narrative is enjoyable for children. The author always does a wonderful job relaying the story without unnecessary text. That balance allows young readers to stay focused and engaged through the entire story. Brown’s illustrations are bright and cheerful. Arthur and the other characters are drawn with lively expressions. Each character has a distinct personality with quirks, so kids easily relate to them.
Arthur’s thanksgiving activities
Thanksgiving books for kindergarten
Side note: Did you know Brown sneaks his children’s names into his illustrations as well? You will often find the words Tucker, Eliza, or Tolon tucked into his books. Hunting for them adds a little extra fun to each of our Arthur read a louds! Can you find all three during your Thanksgiving story time?
This particular Arthur book touches on Thanksgiving traditions briefly, so it’s a perfect jumping off point for further reading or holiday discussions. As a young direct, Arthur finds he needs to problem solve with his peers as they learn to work as a team. This makes it an ideal choice for addressing flexibility and compromise with children.
Thanksgiving writing activities
Reading about Arthur’s struggles to find a turkey for the school play inspired me to create a Turkey Application. This fun printable writing prompt encourages children to think about what it would be like to be a Thanksgiving turkey.
Some children may approach the prompts as if they are imagining they are joining Arthur’s play. Others (like my oldest) might find it fun to think about being a real turkey at Thanksgiving! There’s plenty of space for young writers to include their thoughts. The printable application also has a space for drawing, so kids really have the chance to get creative.
This printable would also work well with one of our other favorite Thanksgiving books, A Plumps and Perky Turkey.
Or, if you are looking for a different printable thanksgiving activity to go along with a great book, try Thanksgiving for Emily (with free printable) or Amelia Bedelia’s First Apple Pie (with printable craft)
Looking for more fun Thanksgiving worksheets and turkey printables to keep kids engaged and make learning fun? You will love these cute ideas and resources:
- Thanksgiving Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Printable Thanksgiving Writing Activities
- Thanksgiving Color by Letter
- Free Thanksgiving Theme
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Thanksgiving Sight Word Coloring
- Arthur’s thanksgiving activities
- HUGE Pack of Thanksgiving Worksheets
- Thanksgiving Alphabet
- Life Cycle of a Turkey Printable Worksheets
- First Thanksgiving Reader – Thanksgiving First Grade Printable
- 30+ November Crafts for Kids
- Lots of fun November Activities for Kids
- Fun pilgrims for kids history lesson
- Thanksgiving Counting by 10s
- Candy Corn Printable – Count and Trace the Turkeys
- Thanksgiving Color by Number Addition
- Pumpkin Count and Trace Numbers 1-10
- Hands-on Turkey Math Count to 10
- Turkey Spin – Thanksgiving Shapes Printables
- Subtraction Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Thanksgiving Color by Number
- Cut and Paste Thanksgiving Worksheets
- Free Thanksgiving Math Worksheets & Games
- Thanksgiving Color by Hundreds Chart
- Addition Pumpkin Patch Game
- Edible Turkey Craft
- Thanksgiving Hat Printable
- Turkey Craft with cup and feathers
- Paper Plate Turkey Craft
- Turkey Colour matching
- Cute Turkey Craft with cup and feathers
- Super cute Turkey Crafts for Kids
- Thanksgiving pre-Writing Worksheets
- Turkey Crafts with Pumpkin Seeds
- Printable Turkey Colors Printable Sorting Activity
- Thanksgiving Playdough Cards
- Turkey Packing Peanut crafts
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Skits
- Thanksgiving BINGO
- Easy Paper Turkey Craft
- Candy Corn Printable – Count and Trace the Turkeys
- FREE Thanksgiving Pictionary for Families
Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!