The foundations of reading are built on learning phonics. The best place to begin is with practicing short vowel sounds. Once your child masters short vowel sounds you continue on like stepping stones until reading is achieved. These super cute, free printable vowel sounds worksheets are a great way to start teaching phonics to kindergarten, pre-k, and first grade students. Simply download pdf file with free printable short vowel worksheets, print, and you are ready to learn to read with these free kindergarten worksheets.
Vowel Sounds Worksheets
Help kindergartners, preschoolers, and grade 1 students work on phonics skills sounding out short vowel works with these super cute vowel sounds worksheets. All the short vowel sounds worksheets are in black and white to save you on printer ink costs! This short a, short e, short i, short o, and short u pages are a simple way to help kids start to decode words to learn to read and spell!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love how handy these no-prep free worksheets are. Use them as extra practice, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics curriculum.
Free printable short vowel worksheets
Download your worksheets about learning short vowel sounds to get started on the road to reading. Before beginning each worksheet, go over each image to ensure there are no mistakes or confusion on which beginning sound the image is referring to.
Short Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- Before beginning go over the vowels and make sure your child can recognize the letters. The next step is using the worksheet that instructs your child to match the letter to the image that has the same beginning vowel sound.
- On the Beginning Vowel Sounds sheet, have your child say the name of the image. Then ask her what the beginning sound is and have her circle the letter below that matches the sound.
- Writing practice is pretty straight forward since the main function is working on handwriting. However, as your child writes each letter have her say the sound of the vowel. The interaction of writing and saying the vowel sound will solidify the concept.
- The last page is a mini book your child can keep with her to remind her of the vowel sounds. So any time she forgets she can look at the book and the key word will help her remember. Feel free to have your child color the mini book as well!
To extend the lesson beyond the worksheets you can have your child go on a short vowel scavenger hunt around your house. Give extra points if she finds items with middle or ending vowel sounds.
FREE CVC Words Printables
Looking for more cvc words worksheets and cvc word printable activities to maker learning fun? Check out these ideas and resources:
- Crack the Code CVC Word Worksheets
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Download Short Vowel Sounds Worksheets
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!