This simple gassy banana experiment is a fun way for kids to learn about what happens as fruit rots with an easy visual. This banana science experiment is super easy and will wow kids as they see the balloon inflate as the project progresses. Try this banana activity with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd garde, 4th grade, and up! You’ve got to try this fruit experiments!
Banana Science Experiment
Whether you are looking for a simple earth sciece project, fruit experiment, or a fun addition to Earth Day for kids, this fun banana activity is sure to excite children. In this easy banana experiment you will get to see what happens to fruit first hand as it decays and decomposes. Not just visually, but the invisible gasses that are released. This rotting banana experiment is such a clever way to allow preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, garde 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students to see the results with a balloon experiment.
All you need to try this fun banana activity are a few simple materials:
- bowl and spoon
- empty water or soda bottle
Science project banana
Start by peeling a banana and placing it in a small bowl.
Rotting banana experiment
In a small bowl, smash it with a spoon until it is mushy and has no lumps.
Banana science fair project
Push the smushed banana in an empty, clear bottle. Blow up a balloon and let the air out to stretch out the balloon.Place the balloon over the opening of the bottle.
Put the bottle in a warm sunny spot. Observe the banana mush and balloon over the next several days.
While the banana rots and decomposes, it gives off gases. These gases are trapped inside the bottle and eventually build up enough pressure to begin inflating the balloon.
Keep watching as the balloon will continue to get larger for days as all the gases are trapped. This is such a cool way for kids to see what actually happens as this fruit decomposes!
This simple gassy banana science experiment is a fun way for kids to learn about what happens as fruit rots with an easy inflating balloon visual.
Fruit Activities for Kids
Looking for more fruit printable activities? You may want to check these out:
- Free Printable ABC Fruits and Vegetables Book for Kids to color and learn
- I Spy Fruits Worksheet for Preschool
- 🍉 Sneak in some fruit science with this watermelon volcano, play with puffy watermelon slime reicpe, or see all our watermelon activities
- 🍋 Lemon Volcano is a super EASY and fun Fruit Science or lemonade TEn Frames Kindergarten
- 🍎 Sorting Apples Alphabet Activity or this Apple Counting Mat for Fall
- 🍏 Apple Life Cycle Worksheets or make this simple Paper Plate Apple Core Craft
- Count to 20 Clip Card Fruit Printables
- 🍇 How to make Grape Jam Sequencing Cards or PB&J Coloring Pages
- Fruit Cards or Fruit Paper Activity
- 🍓 Strawberry Playdough Fruit Activity
- 🍓 Cute Handprint Strawberry Craft or printable Rhyming Strawberry Activity
- 💙 Hands-on Blueberry Math
- Dancing Raisins – EASY chemistry experiment for kids
- 🥥 Coconut Number Tracing Fruit Printables
- 🍅 Simple Tomato Battery Fruit Science Experiment
- Math Fruit Worksheet Preschool
- A-Z Vegetable and Fruit Printables for practicing lowercase letters
- 🍌Banana Number Puzzles
Fun Science Experiments
Here are some of our most popular lessons and activities or see all our science for kids conveniently sorted!
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Learn about famous female inventors with this read, color, and learn booklet for kids
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Simple science experiments for kindergarten
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy science experiments for kindergarten
Explore our science projects based on all science for kids, types of free science lessons, or seasonal science experiments.
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!