Books to Read this week:
Letter B Day #1 – Craft
Optional: Add additional contact paper to seal in tissue paper Hang on a window so catch light.
Optional other butterfly crafts:
Letter B Day #2 – Making the Letter B
Letter B Day #3 – Science & Butterfly Lifecycles
Letter B Day #4 – Feed the Butterflies
Set out the caterpillar (s) and some small colorful pom poms. Tell your child the butterfly is hungry and wants to eat:
- All the yellow pom poms (great for color recognition)
- 5 pom poms (great for early math / counting practice) NOTE: Make sure they count out loud as they put them in his mouth)
- Dump out and repeat with more instructions
Letter B Day #5 – Butterfly Sensory Bin
Color bow tie pasta various colors (here is a tutorial on dying rice or pasta). Once the pasta is thoroughly dyed put it in a bin. Add several containers, kitchen tongs and allow them to use their senses while playing and exploring the sensory bin. They can sort the butterflies, measure the pasta with measuring cups, or furthers explore butterflies by using these optional items:
- Visit a Butterfly Garden – If you are fortunate enough to live by a museum, zoo, or nature center that has a live butterfly garden go visit.
- Grow a Butterfly Garden – Plant a butterfly bush, phlox, coneflowers, Salvia, Black Eyes Susans, or other plants butterflies like and watch butterflies come to your backyard. You can leave an orange cut in half to encourage butterflies to come to the area.