Spring is the time for colorful butterflies. This simple pop up butterfly craft is fun for kids in kindergarten and preschool.
Pop Up Butterfly Craft
This kindergarten craft would be perfect to do as part of a butterfly unit.
Kids will have fun making their butterfly pop up from the flowers. They may also enjoy this recycled magazine butterfly craft.
- Green Paper Cup
- Craft Stick
- Flower Stickers
- Butterfly Printable
- Glue Stick
Butterfly Crafts for Kids
Before starting the craft, be sure to print off your copy of the butterfly printable. If you are crafting with multiple children, you may want to cut the butterflies apart ahead of time so each child has
one. Use markers to carefully color one butterfly.
Cut out the butterfly, being careful not to cut off its antenna. Set the butterfly aside for now. Use flower stickers to decorate your green paper cup. If you can’t find green cups, you could use green construction paper to cover the cup.
Once the cup is decorated, carefully use the tip of your scissors to make a small slit on the bottom of the cup. The slit must be wide enough to slide the craft stick through it. Make sure the slit is the
right size by sticking the end of the craft stick through the slit.
Glue your butterfly to one end of your craft stick. Stick the craft stick through the cup’s slit, so that the butterfly rests inside the cup.
Kids will have fun using the craft stick to make their butterfly appear and disappear among the flower garden. In fact, they may want to make a few of these flower crafts to continue their butterfly’s adventures.
This pop up butterfly craft is perfect for springtime.
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft