These alphabet playdough ideas and recipes are great for hands-on letter learning.
Make a special batch of playdough for your letter of the week activities, or set up a playdough activity for each letter of the alphabet. Make a apple scented playdough, set up a bee play dough activity, or try a cat play dough mat. There are enough playdough ideas on this to keep you playing right through the alphabet.
Each letter of the alphabet has a playdough recipe, activity, or printable (or two, or three, or more!) to go with it. No matter what letter your kids are learning there is a fun playdough idea to go with it.
Alphabet Playdough Ideas
A is for apple, and ants.
- Apple Pie Playdough from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
- Apple Orchard Playdough Mats from Living Well Mom.
- Playdough Invitation With Ants from Stir The Wonder.
B is for blueberries, bats, and butterfly.
- Blueberry Playdough from The Craft Train.
- Bat Playdough Recipe and Activity from Messy Little Monster.
- Bubble Gum Playdough
- Butterfly World Playdough Playdough Kit from Mama Papa Bubba.
- Birthday Cake Playdough Mats from Preschool Play and Learn
- Roll a Butterfly Playdough Mat from Teach me Mom.
C is for cherries, cake, cookies, cinnamon and caterpillar.
- Cherry Lemonade Playdough Recipe from Glued to My Crafts.
- Carrot SHAPE Playdough Mats from Preschool Play and Learn
- Cake Mix Playdough from Messy Little Monster.
- Christmas Playdough mats
- Cookie Dough Playdough from Natural Beach Living.
- Chocolate Playdough Recipe
- Cinnamon Cookie Playdough from The Craft Train.
- Colour Matching Caterpillar Playdough from Fantastic Fun and Learning.
- Candy Corn Playdough (it’s edible!)
D is for dandelion, donut, dinosaur, and duck
- Naturally Dyed Dandelion Playdough from Parenting Chaos.
- Soft Squishy Donut Themed Playdough from The Art Kit
- Dinosaur Egg Playdough Factory from Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls
- Duck Pond Playdough fromFantastic Fun and Learning.
E is for egg, and eucalyptus.
- Roll an Easter Egg Playdough Mat from Teach Me Mommy.
- Calming Natural Eucalyptus Playdough from The Imagination Tree.
F is for flowers, fairies, and farm.
- Flower Playdough Mat from Teach Me Mommy.
- Fairy Playdough Recipe from Laughing Kids Learn.
- Farm Playdough Activity from Fun learning For Kids.
- Playdough Fairy Gardens from Mama Papa Bubba.
- Flower SHAPE Playdough Cards from Preschool Play and Learn
G is for gingerbread, Grinch, galaxy and giraffe.
- Gingerbread Playdough from Buggy and Buddy.
- Christmas Grinch Playdough from Messy Little Monster.
- Grill Playdough Mats from Kindergaten Worksheets and Games
- Galaxy Playdough from Kids Activities
- Feed the Giraffe Playdough Mats from Pre Kinders.
H is for honey, and hedgehog.
I for insects, and ice cream.
- Insect Play Dough Activity from Pre K Pages.
- Instrument Playdough Mats from Preschool Play and Learn
- Edble Icecream Playdough from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
J is for jungle, jelly beans, and jello.
- Jungle Playdough from Picklebums.
- Edible Jelly Bean Playdough from Lemon Lime.Adventures.
- Jello Playdough Recipe from Modern Parents Messy Kids.
K is for kite, and kool-aid
- K is for Kite Playdough Mat from Learn Create Love.
- Amazing Kool-aid Playdough Recipe from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
L is for lemon, lavender, ladybug, and leaves.
- Lemon Scented Playdough from Laughing Kids Learn.
- Calming Lavender Playdough from Play Based Parenting.
- Ladybug Playdough Activity from The Art Kit.
- Playdough Learning Tray with Leaves from Learn Play Imagine.
M is for minions, monsters, and mud.
- Marvelous Minions Playdough Mat from Lemon Lime Adventures.
- Monster Playdough Mats from Picklebums.
- Mud-like Playdough from Kids Activities.
N is for nest, night sky, and nature.
- Birds Nest Playdough from Fantastic Fun and Learning.
- Night Sky Playdough from News with Naylors.
- Number Playdough PLAYmats
- Nature’s Stampers, Impressions in Playdough from Danya Banya.
O is for ocean, owl, and octopus
- Rocky Shore Small World with Ocean Playdough from Buggy and Buddy.
- Owl Counting Playdough Mats From Preschool Powol Packets.
- Ocean Playdough Octopus Counting Mat from Royal Baloo.
P is for penguin, pumpkin, pizza, and peach.
- Roll a Penguin Playdough Mat from Teach Me Mommy.
- Pumpkin Playdough Invitation to Play from Glued to My Crafts.
- Peeps Playdough (it’s edible!)
- Pumpkin Pie Play Dough from Simple in the Country.
- Peppermint Playdough
- Playdough Pizza Parlour from NurtureStore.
- Pet Playdough mats from Preschool Play and Learn
- Peach Scented Playdough From Laughing Kids Learn.
Q is for queen.
- Queen of Hearts Playdough Mats from PreKinders.
R is for reindeer, rose, rainbow and robot.
- Reindeer Playdough from Kids’ Craft Room.
- Rose Playdough Recipe from Childhood101.
- DIY Rainbow Playdough from Easy Peasy and Fun.
- Build a Robot Play Dough Kit from U Ready Teddy?
S is for snowman, strawberry, space, spider, and slime.
- Snowman Playdough from Glued to My Crafts.
- Seashell Color Playdough mats from Preschool Play and Learn
- Amazing No Cook Strawberry Playdough Recipe from Natural Beach Living.
- Shape Playdough mats
- Space Playdough from No Time for Flashcards.
- Spider Playdough Activity Tray from The Imagination Tree
- Easy Play Doh Slime Recipe from DIY Candy.
T is for tree, tools, and turkey.
- Spring Tree Playdough Invitation from Fantastic Fun and Learning.
- Tools Playdough Mats from Preschool Play and Learn.
- Easy Turkey Playdough Activity from Early Learning Ideas.
U is for unicorn and ugly sweaters.
- Unicorn Rainbow Playdough from Fantastic Fun and Learning.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Playdough from Fireflies and Mudpies.
V is for veggie garden, and Valentines Day.
W is for watermelon, worm, and winter.
- Homemade Watermelon Playdough from Parenting Chaos.
- Worm Playdough from Fantastic Fun and Learning.
- Winter Playdough Invitation to Play from My Bored Toddler
- Watermelon Seed Playdough Playmats from Preschool Play and Learn
X is for xray.
Y is for yarn, and yellow.
Z is for zoo and zebra.
If you love play dough then you’ll love this list of alphabet playdough ideas. There is a playdough recipe, activity or idea for every letter of the alphabet!
Looking for more fun alphabet activities? Try these:
- Alphabet Playdough PLAYmats – each page has a scene to complete and the letter to make out of playdough
- Uppercase Animal Playdough Cards – each card features a different letter with an animal whose name starts with that letter
- Alphabet Playdough Cards – each card features a letters to make and several pictures that start with that alphabet letter
- Fish Letter Find Worksheets – kids will have fun coloring the fish that are in the correct bowl
- Summer Handwriting Worksheets – trace letters from A to Z as you create your own alphabet book for summer!
- Alphabet Paper Plate Crafts from A to Z – so many fun, clever crafts for kids to make while learning their letters
- Over 1000 pages of FREE Alphabet Printables so kids can have fun learning their letters while having FUN